CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

3.6L convertible may yet appear?

Motor Trend in the current issue says they expect to still see our 3.6L DOHV VVT V6 engine in the Pontiac Solstice and/or Saturn Sky. I thought because they got the 260 hp Ecotec 2L Turbo engine for their performance versions, they were done. But perhaps after the direct injection 3.6L appears in 2008 with 292-300 hp it would be a nice boost for a model year upgrade for the twin convertibles.

The more sporty cars we see these engines in the more likely a performance parts aftermarket will develop.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Frankly, I think GM is under-utilizing the 3.6L VVT engine. They're still messing around with the 2.8L engine that barely cracks 200 horsepower and doesn't make that in torque. The 3500 engine is oddly in the middle and unimpressive, with 211 hp and about the same in torque (depending on application). The 3900 looks like a nice workhorse, with 240+ hp and matching torque (but each at higher RPM levels than the 3.6L).

The 3.6L engine outclasses them all and for V-6 engines, the 3.6L is a real gem. Every single V-6 sedan GM sells should at least be available with the 3.6L, even if it's not standard equipment. They'd much more easily compete with cars like V-6 Accords and Camrys and ES330s and things like that.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived