CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Steering column smoke?

Hello! Can anyone explane why smoke comes out of the steering column whenever the hazards are activated? Is this a concern? Should I quit using them? For the most part, they activate the hazards at the car wash when I only want the exterior washed...

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

Checking http://www.caddyinfo.com/howto.html under Smoke from the Steering Column:

It was most likely just some extra grease burning/melting on the slip ring

so if you have a whiff/puff of smoke from the steering column now and then, not to worry. IF it only happens when the hazards are on though that seems different, and you should probably have it examined for a short.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I remember when I had this problem. I was driving when suddenly a few wisps of white smoke rise from the steering column...what, did I see something? :huh:...what the bleep is that? :unsure::unsure:...pull over, pull over...:o:o

:lol:

Thanks Guys!

Bruce, I already researched the archive you mentioned, and wasn't sure if this was something hazard switch specific... I never noticed smoke otherwise. I will have it checked.

Thanks again!

Mark

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

• 2 months later...

I have also this same problem when using my hazards, so you are not alone.

I have that problem too. I usually get a thin stream of smoke from the steering column when I have the blinkers on for a while.

Today, however, was a pretty hot day. I had just parked my car, when I heard a popping sound (like you'd hear on a hot grill). I popped the hood and found a sizable amount of smoke coming out of the vents just under the windshield. I then noticed that smoke started entering the cabin from the inside vents. There was a distinct electrical burning smell. I disconnected the ground on my battery, and now am back to this great site for guidance. I wonder if the smoke associated with blinkers was a precursor...

• 1 year later...

I am seeing smoke coming from my steering column on 95 degree + days. The smoke will appear while stuck in traffic and once moving, the column stops smoking. '93 STS.

Archived