CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2006 cts-v

japx

just bought a 06 cts-v wow great car excpt for a couple of weird things.

Does anyone know how to get the steering wheel audio controls to index pre-selected radio stations, as of now it searches for the next strongest signal.

Other weird thing is the navigation screen is only visible whe the radio/unit is powered on. How do I turn off the radio and keep the nav screen on?

Congratulations on the new car. The CTS-V is a great choice.

Assuming it is similar to the CTS steering buttons, you use a setup screen on the radio to select which functions you want the programmable steering wheel buttons to perform. Press the right large knob to access the setup. Check page 3-7 in the owner's manual for setup info. CONFIGURE SWC KEYS is the steering wheel programmable button choices.

The nav unit, radio, cd player, etc are all one unit, but you can choose whether to hear radio or cd or not while you are using the navigation system. I think on the radio thing what you are hearing is that the radio talk/music is playing, then you are doing nav stuff. Doing nav info/settings does not keep the radio from playing, assuming that you wanted to continue listening to the radio. What you need to do is switch 'bands' so that the radio stops playing, if that makes sense.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Congratulations on the new car. The CTS-V is a great choice.

Assuming it is similar to the CTS steering buttons, you use a setup screen on the radio to select which functions you want the programmable steering wheel buttons to perform. Press the right large knob to access the setup. Check page 3-7 in the owner's manual for setup info. CONFIGURE SWC KEYS is the steering wheel programmable button choices.

The nav unit, radio, cd player, etc are all one unit, but you can choose whether to hear radio or cd or not while you are using the navigation system. I think on the radio thing what you are hearing is that the radio talk/music is playing, then you are doing nav stuff. Doing nav info/settings does not keep the radio from playing, assuming that you wanted to continue listening to the radio. What you need to do is switch 'bands' so that the radio stops playing, if that makes sense.

Unfortunetly its very different from the normal CTS steering wheel buttons, even Cadillac is confused on this point......

A response from another 06 CTS-V owner that applies to this dilemna.....

You can't program them, I tried every which way.

The only thing you can do which is hepful, if you hold the seek button on the steering wheel for 3 seconds, you should hear 2 beeps, then the radio will scroll though all your preselected stations for that band previewing each. Then press the button again if you find a station you want to listen to.

Thats all we can do, I bitched about this the first day I had the car. The seek button needs to scroll through the presets, not through the entire band.

So other than the 3 second delay, it sounds like you got what you are looking for?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Darn it, the manual says they work the same, or at least does not differentiate. Now I wish I had a CTS-V here that I could play with to try to understand the problem. I remember something about the CTS-V's had something odd about the nav system, but not what.

Oh - I see the problem -- looking at http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html , the CTS-V does not have the same SWC (Steering wheel controls) that the base CTS gets, which is 4 programmable buttons on the left side of the steering wheel and the roller and push button on the right side. You have a whole different setup. The FAQ does have instructions on how to 'wire in' the regular CTS controls, but it looks like a bear.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The only thing you can do which is hepful, if you hold the seek button on the steering wheel for 3 seconds, you should hear 2 beeps, then the radio will scroll though all your preselected stations for that band previewing each. Then press the button again if you find a station you want to listen to.

Thats all we can do, I bitched about this the first day I had the car. The seek button needs to scroll through the presets, not through the entire band.

But that's what the seek button is supposed to do...scroll through the entire band "seeking" for a strong signal. On my '97, if I hold the SEEK button for 3 seconds, I hear a beep and the SEEK button turns into a TUNE button, where I can manually tune to a specific frequency.

On the steering wheel controls on my car, the audio button is called "SELECT" (up and down). Using it when listening to the radio skips from preset to preset. Using it when listening to the CD changer skips from track to track. Using it when listening to the tape will also skip from track to track.

It sounds like you want to program your steering wheel control to act like my SELECT button...where it jumps from preset to preset? If it is indeed a SEEK button, that probably is all it'll do. Interesting how they include programmable buttons on the base CTS but not on the CTS-V?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Folks:

This seems to be one of the 'GOOD and GOOFY' situations that GM falls into frequently. The select button is all but useless in that regardless of the 1 beep or 3 beep scenerio it still doesn't behave like a typcal select button should (simply just increment/decrement thru the pre-selected stations) instead of the current series of multiple useless functions..... Also GM has been no help so far they for the most part have no idea of what I am talking about instead refering me back to the useless manual (although after the last e-mail they have been kinda quite). With enough pressure maybe we the consumers can pressure GM into re-programming this button to make it useful....

Archived