CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Additional questions when buying Seville..

Doffe

Hi there!

I´m a guy living in Malmoe, Sweden, and I´m planning to buy a 98-99 Seville this summer. I´m trying to learn as much as possible about them before getting out there so I know what to look after. I´ve read a lot of great info on this very good site (for example "BodyByFischer":s exellent advises when buying a Seville), but I´ve got some additional questions I hope you owners/experts can help me with:

1. I´ve read that you get old codes from the computer by pressing Off and Warmer on the air.condition at the same time... Is this equal to driving the car to a workshop and connect to the computer with a proffesional machine? How does this codes look and is there a site on the internet to de-code them? How do you get out of the "looking at old codes"-mode (is this automatic)? Is there a way for the seller to manipulate the computer to avoid old codes coming up?

2. How long does the schock-absorbers last, normally (of course you never know how the previous owner used the car)?

3. What is this about the cooler-fluid? What type of fluid should the car have been filled with? How often should it´ve been changed? Is this something thats more important on older versions of Seville? I´ve understood that the coolingsystem breaks down if the ccoling-fluid hasn´t been changed reguraly and properly... It feels a little bit scary, because it feels like a thing that´s hard to check(?)

4. Is it better to go for a 97 seville? Are there fewer problems with them? Normally the last version of a model is the best, but when coming to the Seville I´ve been told that the new body from 98 meens less problems???

Thank you for your help!!

Warmest regards Doffe, Sweden

Hi Doffe,

Be sure to visit http://www.caddyinfo.com/howto.html for more good reading.

1. Codes -- yes, you get the same diagnostic codes that the GM Tech 2 computer would tell a technician. The computer has some other abilities in addition, but the diagnostics are the same.

To exit onboard diagnostics you can turn the key off, or hit any non-diagnostic control. It depends a bit on which model year, since although they use a similar approach, the buttons change from year to year.

You can find some code lists at the page above, although the readers here at caddyinfo are usually happy to help you decode anything if you post your codes.

2. 80K miles to 150K miles I would say on the shocks/struts. There are less expensive non-intelligent replacements for some years.

3. The type of fluid differs by year. The important thing is that the car was properly maintained. I would vastly prefer to buy a car which came with complete and detailed service records, say in a notebook with the car.

4. With Sevilles, I prefer the latest one you can afford. They continue to improve up to the current model.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/sevilleyearbyyear.htm lists year to year changes.

There is an excellent reference book, The Standard Catalog of Cadillac, by Krause Publications, which gives good year to year info as well. If you can Amazon where you are, feed "The Standard Catalog of Cadillac" in to the Amazon gadget at the bottom of the page and it will search there for you.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

1. I´ve read that you get old codes from the computer by pressing Off and Warmer on the air.condition at the same time... Is this equal to driving the car to a workshop and connect to the computer with a proffesional machine? How does this codes look and is there a site on the internet to de-code them? How do you get out of the "looking at old codes"-mode (is this automatic)? Is there a way for the seller to manipulate the computer to avoid old codes coming up?

2. How long does the schock-absorbers last, normally (of course you never know how the previous owner used the car)?

3. What is this about the cooler-fluid? What type of fluid should the car have been filled with? How often should it´ve been changed? Is this something thats more important on older versions of Seville? I´ve understood that the coolingsystem breaks down if the ccoling-fluid hasn´t been changed reguraly and properly... It feels a little bit scary, because it feels like a thing that´s hard to check(?)

1. On the '98+ models you will be looking at, the code retrieval is different. See the attached file. As far as "displaying codes" this method is limited to read-only function. And anyone who can display codes can also reset them.

2. Tough one. I replaced my front struts at 145,000 miles but they deserved to be replaced much sooner.

3. The factory fill coolant was Dex-Cool, a pinkish colored non-silicated EG antifreeze mixed 50/50 with water (distilled is preferred). The recommended schedule is 5 years or 100,000 miles and GM/Cadillac says 5 years or 150,000 miles. If you are looking at '98 and '99 models, be sure to get documentation that the coolant has been changed and replaced with the Dex-Cool mixture.

You can expect delays and hurdles when buying replacement OEM repair parts. Not many web-based US parts houses are interested or equiped to export parts beyond North America.

Happy hunting and good luck with it...

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thank you for your help!!

Warmest regards Doffe, Sweden

You can "de-code" them here.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

The only thing the seller can do to prevent you from seeing any stored codes is to clear them. If they are "Current" as opposed to History codes they will reset after a drive, so check the DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) after a test drive rather than before.

The only thing the seller can do to prevent you from seeing any stored codes is to clear them. If they are "Current" as opposed to History codes they will reset after a drive, so check the DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) after a test drive rather than before.

Better yet, do both.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

3. The factory fill coolant was Dex-Cool, a pinkish colored non-silicated EG antifreeze mixed 50/50 with water (distilled is preferred). The recommended schedule is 5 years or 100,000 miles and GM/Cadillac says 5 years or 150,000 miles. If you are looking at '98 and '99 models, be sure to get documentation that the coolant has been changed and replaced with the Dex-Cool mixture.

Be aware, if the pink Dex-Cool was EVER replaced with the more common green-stuff, you must forever after use the green-stuff and replace it more frequently.

Any chance you might have a few minutes to tell us why a Seville became your choice?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Hi!

Thanks for all info and all internet-adresses to check for more info!!! Great!! I will continue reading and doing my "homework" before getting out to buy a Seville!!

Interesting what you say about the schock absorbers! Many of the 98-99 Sevilles that are for sale here in Sweden has been driven 80.000 to 10.000 kilometers (wich should be 130.000 to 160.000 miles if I´ve converted it right). That should probably mean that they sell them just before they have to change the shock-absorbers then...? That´s something to check very carefully and to condsider as a cost to come sooner than I thought... Thanks!! That was very helpfull!!!

It was also helpful to know that it should be pink Dex-Cool in the car!! I´ll look carfully for that also!!

US-cars are quite popular in Sweden (especially from the 50:s and the 60:s though) so it isn´t that hard getting spare-parts here from the States... There´s one US-spare-part-firm here that has one cargo-plane a weak leaving the US heading for Sweden with spare-parts (at least they say that themselves but after ordering some hoses to my Chevy from them I´m not that sure that it´s correct)

Why a Seville

I´ve always loved american cars and then especially Chevrolet Caprice Estate wich I´m driving right now (I have a 1984 "woody" in quite good shape). I´ve had it for 3 years, but I want to change to a Cadillac for different reasons.

First, I think I deserve better comfort... I´ve got a friend that have a 93 DeVille, and riding in that is something completely else than riding in my Caprice.

Second, I don´t think cars without a V8-engine is a real care (silly maybe...) and after what I´ve read and experienced through friends Cadillacs the Northstar V8 is as close you can come to perfection in building a powerful V8-engine. (Only the fact that you have 305hp and so low consumption of fuel is amazing!! Especially good in Sweden where fuel cost 12 swedish kronor/liter.. Thats approx. 1.7 dollars for a quarter of a gallon wich means approx betwen 6 and 7 dollars per gallon)

Third, I have to drive quite much in my work and during the winters we can have quite much snow and ice here... That´s why I´d like a car with the power from the front wheels and a lot of safety equippment. (In my Caprice I´ve got seat-belts... Thats it)

Fourth: I´ve decided to get a Seville because it isn´t a full size car, but still big enough to ride five people in it comfortably. I´ve had a full size for three years and it´s great on the roads but can be frustrating when searching parking space in a big city (especially since the Swedish parkinglots are measured after european cars). Also there are like 4 times as many Sevilles for sale here than there are DeVilles, more to choose from...

Five: I like the look of it! It´s a powerful car but with a very sophisticated look. You can see that it´s a car with great comfort but you have to KNOW that there´s 305 hp under the hood! That´s something I like!

Thats the short story why I´m looking for a Seville...

Once again thank you all for all help!! I´ll dig into this and then start to look as soon as I´ve sold my Chevy! If I have more questions you hear from me again, but after I´ve read the links and information here I should be ready to go out looking seriously after a Seville!!

I´ll tell you what I got when that time comes, but I´ll take my time finding one... It is almost as fun searching your dream-car as it is driving it...

Many Thanks!!!

warmest regards Doffe

It was also helpful to know that it should be pink Dex-Cool in the car!! I´ll look carfully for that also!!

Doffe,

DexCool is more of an orange color - I just got finished repairing my '97 STS (headgaskets) and refilled the cooling system with DexCool - from Texaco which is the GM supplier and it was an orange color.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Interesting what you say about the schock absorbers! Many of the 98-99 Sevilles that are for sale here in Sweden has been driven 80.000 to 10.000 kilometers (wich should be 130.000 to 160.000 miles if I´ve converted it right)....

Minor point but the conversion goes the other way. Miles to kilometers is miles times 1.609. Kilometers times 0.621 gives miles.

Have fun with the search for your Seville.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Interesting what you say about the schock absorbers! Many of the 98-99 Sevilles that are for sale here in Sweden has been driven 80.000 to 10.000 kilometers (wich should be 130.000 to 160.000 miles if I´ve converted it right)....

Minor point but the conversion goes the other way. Miles to kilometers is miles times 1.609. Kilometers times 0.621 gives miles.

Have fun with the search for your Seville.

Thanks!! Ofcourse!! I thought it was strange that the shock absorbers didn´t last longer!! Great!

Thanks again for all your help!!

Warmest regards Doffe

Archived