CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Auxillary fans and tranny coolers...

Nikolai

Well, took my car on another beat-the-piss out of it run today. Did very well against the cars that showed up (will post pics later this evening) however towards the end my car's temp rose two bars over the standard half way mark. This was only when we stopped to let people in the back catch up, in a stand still. Once I got going again it was fine. Then, at the very end, it gave me a check coolant message. I let it cool for about 30 minutes and then checked the tank and it was fine. I think I need to let it sit the rest of the evening and check it again. Anyway, I'm considering installing one or two auxillary fans in front fo the A/C condesor to help out on these spirited drives. I also know I need an auxillary tranny cooler. The only guy I know of that has done it is Mark 99STS and I hope he can chime in and give some of his experience.

Thanks in advance.

Nikolai

I have auxilliary transmission coolers on all my cars except for the '97 STS. They are easy to add - disconnect the output line from the radiator cooler and plumb in the auxiliary cooler - you want the fluid to be pre-cooled in the radiator tank and then pass through the auxiliary cooler. I always fabricate my own mounting brackets rather than use those zip-ties included with the cooler. I plan to install one on my '97 STS when I get the time.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

First, I'm surprised you were able to flog the car (on public roads) hard enough to see that kind of temperature rise when stopped at idle. I would be inspecting water pump belt and belt tensioner. Also confirm the fans come at the proper speed at the proper temperature.

Second, you are correct to go after trans fluid cooling. If we are talking about running the gear selector in 2 and using the torque curve for performance, the trans is going to produce some high temperatures.

Many years ago, I had a similar coolant temperature situation when towing a boat over 8,000+ foot mountain passes. I installed temperature sensors in the crankcase oil line and the trans fluid line to determine who was the egg and who was the chicken. The trans fluid was rising first and an auxiliary cooler was the fix.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I had some quick company, had to keep up or I'd have gotten lost. That and it was almost 100 degrees out today with no clouds in sight.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then this guy showed up in Blanco for their car show. You could tell the dude drove it too, lots of wear and tear on the front fascia.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Looks like a fun group, and a nice day for touring. Is this a regular get together?

Where was it, and what was the tour route?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I'd be careful about letting your refined lady run with that pack of whores! :P

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Looks like a fun group, and a nice day for touring. Is this a regular get together?

Where was it, and what was the tour route?

Central Texas. We try to have one once a month or so. San Antonio to Blanco, Blanco to Anders, Anders to Luckenbach, Luckenbach to San Antonio. Fun route, some awesome twisties down in there.

Warren, she's just as dirty as the others, just doesn't show it as well. :D

Archived