CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P061 cruise control revisited

It's been a little over a year since I posted this query and thought that give it another try. I have performed all the diagnostic steps in the service manual and everthing checks out properly. I replaced the actuator and even tried a different PCM. NO help. P061 is Vacuum vent valve. I'm not sure if the Vacuum vent valve is part of the actuator or is located by the brake pedal. I tried to access the one by the brake pedal without success. It is very hard to position yourself while trying to work in that area. I thought about taking out the driver side seat.

The only thing that currently happening is that when the CC is turned on, the P061 code sets immediately.

No cruise engage message on the DIC.

During my search of the archive last year, I came across a statement by BBob in which he indicated that following the diagnostic steps in the service manual would lead to a correct diagnosis. No such luck.

What I'm hoping for is that someone on the board may of had a similar experience and would share their knowledge. Thanks...

I am pretty sure the vacuum vent valve (VVV) is not by the brake. I.m pretty sure it is by the cruise control (CC) vacuum diaphram. It would stand to reason that the daiphram is not holding vaccum because of a bad VVV causing the CC to not engage. The FSM should show where this little devil resides.

DISCLAIMER: Photo is from a 1995 manual.

The "Vacuum Vent Valve" is on the Cruise Control Servo under the hood. The one on the brake pedal is called the "Vacuum Release Valve."

The vacuum release valve "opens a port that vents the servo to atmosphere, thereby allowing the throttle to return to the idle position" when the brake pedal is engaged.

If you think the brake pedal mounted vacuum release valve is bad, disconnect it from the servo and plug the servo vent release port. See photo. Do this at low speed and be prepared to manually turn OFF the cruise control if necessary. That shouldn't be necessary, however, as the brake pedal vacuum release switch is only a backup in case the electrical switch on the pedal fails.

I'd be more inclined to believe the servo is bad, but you said you replaced the "actuator." Did you mean the servo unit?

Do you have system vacuum at the servo?

Servo Photo: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/CCServo.jpg

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I should have said the servo and not the actuator. I replaced the servo. The manual states that if replacing the servo doesn't work replace the PCM. The PCM was replaced next. Didn't help. I leaning towards the switch mechanism on the steering column even though and tests specified in the manual (in diagnostic mode) passed properly.

I'm pretty sure that there is plenty of vacuum going to the servo, but I will check again.

Thanks for trying to help...

Well, that's a puzzlement. I hope you'll let us know the answer when you find it.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived