CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1994 STS New Engine - Code Problems

Greetings,

I'm in a big mess. My mechanic put in a rebuilt northstar (runs GREAT), but broke a brake line in the doing. After taking weeks to procure the part, the ABS light will not go off. I cannot clear the codes - replaced the ABS computer AND ABS mechanical unit.

ABS sensors checked too.

Also at first had A/C not coming on and Service Ride Control but those cleared out in the end.

Can anyone save me from having to spend $$$ at the Cadillac stealership?

Adam

At the risk of asking the obvious, would you care to tell us the codes?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

At the risk of asking the obvious, would you care to tell us the codes?

Regards,

Warren

Warren,

I'm sorry for not being more clear. My mechanic has the car and didn't tell me about the specific codes but I do know that the ABS Light is on the dash. I've read a few posts about people with this problem and even after clearing the code after replacing the units, it takes awhile for them to go out. I wonder if that is my problem.

From my understanding, if one of the systems is not working (out of the ABS, Traction Control, Suspension and A/C) then all of them tend to shut down. At least that is what happened to me and what I've been told.

I just don't know if I should make the mechanic try to finish the job, or take it back and try to do it myslef (I think I'm more computer oriented) or take it to the stealership.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I'm in the middle of a tough decision. If I take the car back, all his work is done and he is no longer liable really. If I make him keep it, I am without my car longer and I hope that he gets it ironed out.

Adam

Call him up and ask him what codes it throwing. If he cant to that,...take the car back : P Without the codes its pretty tough to say. Yes traction control and ABS are tied togrther,...dont think it should affect tthe suspension and ac tough. On the other hand,...hooking a scan tool upto my 93 shouldnt diable the tc and abs on my car, but it does sometimes.

Make sure that all four electrical connectors at the wheels are good. A few months after a brake job the left rear connector came loose. This turned "ON" the ABS light on the DIC, displayed the Disabled traction control in the message center. I also heard a grinding noise comming from the left front passenger wheel well. I put the connector back, made sure it caught properly and all three probelms went away. It's worth a look...

Make sure that all four electrical connectors at the wheels are good. A few months after a brake job the left rear connector came loose. This turned "ON" the ABS light on the DIC, displayed the Disabled traction control in the message center. I also heard a grinding noise comming from the left front passenger wheel well. I put the connector back, made sure it caught properly and all three probelms went away. It's worth a look...

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll do this if I take my car back Monday with no progress. The car drives fine, the A/C has been charged and works. Just a few lights on the dash.

I appreciate any other input that might be missed. The car had been off the battery for two weeks during this job, and that should have really cleared everything out good - oh well.

Have a great weekend,

Adam

Archived