CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 sts LED brake lights

Scroll down to the section on 1998 - 2004 Seville on this page http://www.ledfix.com/pages/4/index.htm

Any defective LEDs could replaced. The problem is going to be (1) opening the lamp without damaging the plastic; (2) repairing the damaged circuit board foil(s) and probably replacing some foil with point to point wiring; (3) waterpfoofing the assembly after repair.

Big bucks, or many hours labor. And a salvage yard might be the better solution if you can locate a 2003 or 2004 model. Probably have to buy the complete trunk lid!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Yes, Logan diagnostics is the best way to go!

Well, no, not in this case. Basically, the 1998- mid 2001 Seville had a defect where water gets in. 100% failure. The LEDs survive but not the circuit boards and components.

Anything used or on eBay will also have the same defect. What you really want is a mid-2001 or newer lamp. These used a better sealer. You still get some that leak, but it is more like 5% failure vs 100%.

I attached a pic of a 98 board. It has quite a bit more damage then first meets the eye...

post-2-1147434493.jpg

I think the part at cost is right around 250 :(

Michael-

Try $500 at the dealer parts counter.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have a 1998 and my light bar is still good - but - is their anything I can do to prevent future water damage? For instance is there any silicone sealant that can be smeared around the back housing, etc.

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

I second/third the question.

What can we do to prevent the failure. I have seen some "runny" type silicone ment for windshields. Could/should we put a beade of this or something similar around the light?

I asked Logan about this when my daughter got her '99. Here is the reply I got.

"The led lamps are like long tubes. In the sun they will heat up and pressure will build up in the lamp. This can actually blow out silicone.

The latter lamps use what we use on the 92-97 lamps. Devcon Plastic Welder II. It can be found here:

http://www.devcon.com

Most of the water gets in at the pointed end points of the lamp."

Logan Diagnostic

My position is if 'it ain't broke...'.

The trunk mounted stop lamp on my '98 was replaced under warranty in March of 2000. The repair order said "water intrusion" but I had no reason to inspect the old lamp and get a sense of why it had failed. But the no-questions-asked warranty replacement did raise a flag for me.

In 2000, the replacement part # was 25690155. Six years later and the lamp is still working as intended.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived