CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Pulling the Steering column

I am about to pull the sterring column from my 96 Deville so that I can tighten the 4 bolts that get loose and make the wheel tilt loose. I rented the wheel puller and lock puller from autozone. I read the Haynes manual on how to do the job and it seems to be pretty easy. What I need to know is, how do I disable the airbag? Is pulling the fuse enough to disable it. I don't want to end up in the E.R. Is there any big trick to taking off the clock piece behind the wheel? It seemed to be a little tricky in the book. Any heads up would be appreciated.

Thx,

Arrggg.....been there.....GM Saginaw steering columns....loose tilt....common.

Leave the column in the car.

Disconnect the yellow air bag connection behind the lower kick panel. In the picture you can see it near the parking brake area.

In the picture I used blue tape to 'lock' the clockspring.

This picture...was for a bad turn signal switch swap. Still a mile from the tilt hub (see red arrow).

I would only wish this job on my worst enemy.

post-2-1147007492.jpg

I sill need to pull the cloumn to tighten the bolts right? Where are the bolts located? Also is the clock spring difficult I've never taken one off before?

No, the bolts can be tightend in the car....once you get to them.

The clockspring is held in with a snap ring. You will simply have to set it aside as in the pic. Same with the steering column collar.....turn signal switch etc....

More info....see column pic.

Note all the parts that have to be removed. #1 - #51.

Note heavy spring #50. That can be removed by turning the cup #51 90 degrees with a screwdriver.

Also, there is a special tool to remove the tilt pins #37- #46.

The 'loose' tilt bolts (#57) are in the drawn square.

post-2-1147011707.jpg

It can be done without the special tool. You have to rig ur own tool....much easier to pull the pins after the #50 tilt spring is removed.

Here is a link showing the repair with pictures on a ElCamino. Basically the same column. Shows the tilt pin tool etc...

http://elcaminocentral.com/article95.html

Is this problem also common on the electric tilt/telescoping steering column?

Charles

No, just the older GM Saginaw columns used from about 1969 to 1997 (Seville) and maybe 2001 (Eldorado).

All the other current columns are a differnt design.

My 95' has had this problem for like 4 years now, dealership said that it would eventually loosen to the point where the column would "fall to my feet" if I did not get the bolts replaced....I think that is a load of B.S....Problem hasn't gotten any worse in recent years.

A.J.

Archived