CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

black painted mufflers

joeb

I noticed that older SLS or maybe even devilles have exposed mufflers due to the fact that the rear bumper covers do not hang down low enough to hide them. I just had a new exhaust put on my grand prix GTP and the rear crossover pipe seems to hang down and looks unsightly too me. i decided to paint it black so it was not so visible from the rear. my son thought that was odd. i also got 5" dia. tips and i can see the silver muffler thru the rear bumper cover. i don't like that. i want to paint the rear face of the muffler black so it does not seem so visible. why put on a new exhaust and not be satisfied with all aspects of its look?

That's your call Joe, get it so you like it. My STS has the mufflers just in view and I left them silver, its all personal preference. No right or wrong

Joe

I had to touch up my mufflers about 3 years ago. I used a special paint for BBQ's. it is holding up great. the original paint was peeling & looked uglier than heck. I sanded & painted. Do new mufflers have some protective finish/oil or so to keep from rusting? Maybe let it stay on the car for a bit unpainted, and let the finish burn off before painting? I'd hate to hear that you paint them, and the paint peels off because the surface had contaminants.

I keep the mufflers and pipes (except for the stainless tips) painted with black BBG grill paint. It works like a charm. It just takes 5 minutes once a year with the rattle-rattle can to keep a good coat of paint on them.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived