CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1988 allante

joeb

I saw an ad for a 1988 allante w/78k for 10.5k. it also said they would include a northstar package for an additional 5k. hmm, installed or on a skid? I am not sure I have seen any northstar conversions since it is probably easier to just sell your 4.9 car and find a northstar car for similar money. except on an allante which was only available with the northstar in 93. does a 88 allante have the same trans as a 93?

No, the 88 had a different transmission than the 4T80e northstar tranny. Interested to hear what they include in the northstar package; engine+tranny+installation/modification of an 88 does sound like something new. Maybe they mean that they have a 93 for sale for 15.5K.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

the ad is back in todays paper. I did not call since I am not interested. just caught my eye though. there is also a 93 allante for 1k more, same miles. the 93 is probably a better "keeper" car.

i called the fellow and talked for about 1/2 hr. interesting story. he bought the allante in 94 and about 1 yr later decided to find a wrecked northstar vehicle with the intention of swapping drivetrains. he got a complete package from a 95 eldorado and it has sat on a skid for 10 yrs. It seems the guy is quite a car nut and has owned about 3 other caddy's. he had done a timesert job on 1 of his caddy's so he seems to be mechanically inclined. the more he talked though, the more he seemed to contradict himself about the northstar package. he said the allante motor was probably more reliable than the northstar and that it probably was not worth the effort to swap out the original motor/trans/computer package. I made the comment about the swap project and computer issues and I don't think he even responded. spoken like a true salesman. say nothing so as to not kill the deal. the northstar setup only has 2k miles though. might see it on ebay someday.

Archived