CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Looks Like A Hub Bearing Bit The Dust

MAC

This morning I noticed what seemed to be a humming sound. Coming home from work, it was louder and I could hear it over the radio. The humming sound begins at about 20 mph and is loudest at 40 - 45 mph then dissipates but doesn't completely go away.

It's not engine related since everything is fine when stopped and revving the engine. I researched the archives and note the symptoms are like the numerous other reports indicating a bad hub bearing. Oh well, 204,000 miles, I can't complain.

I found the ACDelco front hub assembly at Rockauto.com for $172.79. :rolleyes: I could buy the aftermarket for $124.89. <_<...No, I don't think so... ;)

One member mentioned he had the humming sound for about 30,000 miles. I think I would go nuts after 5K. It's a low pitch obnoxious hum. :blink: I'm even getting some slight vibration in the steering wheel.

Yes, mine hummed for 30k miles before I replaced it. In fact, it hummed when I bought the car but it never seemed to get worse so I just kept driving it. One day I was driving and I noticed that it seemed a lot louder so I decided my luck was probably coming to an end. A new $70 bearing and a couple hours of work and now no more hum.

IPB Image

Yes, mine hummed for 30k miles before I replaced it. In fact, it hummed when I bought the car but it never seemed to get worse so I just kept driving it. One day I was driving and I noticed that it seemed a lot louder so I decided my luck was probably coming to an end. A new $70 bearing and a couple hours of work and now no more hum.

That was you. I couldn't quite remember exactly who it was. :D

This morning I noticed what seemed to be a humming sound. Coming home from work, it was louder and I could hear it over the radio. The humming sound begins at about 20 mph and is loudest at 40 - 45 mph then dissipates but doesn't completely go away.

It's not engine related since everything is fine when stopped and revving the engine. I researched the archives and note the symptoms are like the numerous other reports indicating a bad hub bearing. Oh well, 204,000 miles, I can't complain.

I found the ACDelco front hub assembly at Rockauto.com for $172.79. :rolleyes: I could buy the aftermarket for $124.89. <_<...No, I don't think so... ;)

Don't buy the aftermarket - I speak from experience - AC-Delco is the way to go for hub bearings. I replaced my drivers front hub with an aftermarket in September of 2004. The auto parts store gave me a new one in July of 2005 under warranty. I bought a new AC-Delco in February of 2006 to replace the free replacement.

Archived