CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad Hesatation (Plugs?)

woody

Hello all,

It started last Friday. My 97 STS with 103,000 miles started loading up at idle and hesatates real bad up until I reach 50mph. My wife did fill her up but I think she used crap gas. :angry: I tried to give her the WOT a couple of times but no help. I was wondering if anyone had any solutions. It is really running bad.

Thanks in advance.

Woody

Check the plugs - I will bet that some are missing the platinum pad on the ground electrode. I had the same thing happen about two years ago on my '96 SLS. I wouldn't bother with a fuel filter - I've never had one of the large filters plug up enough to restrict the fuel flow.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

What he said! and if it starts fine cold but you have to floor the pedal when its warm your fuel press. regulator is probably going south. ( same problem 95 Eldo)

Are the plugs and wires original? Has the fuel rail recall been done? I had the same problem on a '97 Deville right after the fuel rail recall. The post was "Stutter, Engine or Trans?". Turned out to be wires.

Are the plugs and wires original? Has the fuel rail recall been done? I had the same problem on a '97 Deville right after the fuel rail recall. The post was "Stutter, Engine or Trans?". Turned out to be wires.

Ranger,

The plugs and wires are original, I hlost the recall paper on the fuel rails. Who do I contact to find out if mine is recalled? What plugs and wires should I get? Where and how much is the fuel pressure regulator or should I not worry about that? I am a bit confused right now.

Thanks

;)

Here is how to check the FPR but I doubt that is your problem.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadil...l-pressure.html

Your car is included in the recall (all '95 - '97 Northstars). Just take it to a dealer and ask to have it done. R & R the plugs and wires afterwards. Plugs are A/C Delco 41-950. I am not positive but I think the wires are A/C Delco 748J. Rockauto http://www.rockauto.com will have them at about the best price you'll find other than maybe Ebay. They ship very fast.

Hello all,

It started last Friday. My 97 STS with 103,000 miles started loading up at idle and hesatates real bad up until I reach 50mph. My wife did fill her up but I think she used crap gas. :angry: I tried to give her the WOT a couple of times but no help. I was wondering if anyone had any solutions. It is really running bad.

Thanks in advance.

Woody

Hello,

IF you end up with this after replacing everything then I would venture to have your coolant tested. I replaced plus and the fuel filter at 97k miles and couldnt get rid of it. ITs been figured that the rough start up was the result of the engine burnning off the coolant that had seaped into the oil from a failed head gasket. This went on for several weeks then I have my coolant checked.

Michael

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

Woody

Hello,

IF you end up with this after replacing everything then I would venture to have your coolant tested. I replaced plus and the fuel filter at 97k miles and couldnt get rid of it. ITs been figured that the rough start up was the result of the engine burnning off the coolant that had seaped into the oil from a failed head gasket. This went on for several weeks then I have my coolant checked.

Michael

I hate to ask but can anyone tell me the best way to replace all this without problems.Pictures would be nice or am I asking to much. I don't want to mess it up :unsure: Any other posts showing this

Buy some gm platinum plugs put them in use some antiseze on them. the fuel filter will be on the drivers size of the frame its fairly basic to do this.

Michael

http://www.ehow.com/how_110_replace-spark-plugs.html

Has some info on basics of replacing plugs.

The northstar plugs are not that hard to reach, just be careful to do one at a time so you don't get any crossed wires. Helps to have an articulated spark plug wrench.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

DON'T use anti-cease on your plugs it can foul your plugs and cause a misfire.

The OEM plugs for the Northstar have nickel plated threads on the shell to minimize the chances of "galvanic corrosion" between the dissimilar metals causing a problem. Plugs rarely give a problem quite honestly. Most problems experienced in removing plugs occur due to overtorqueing the plugs at the last installation".

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

DON'T use anti-cease on your plugs it can foul your plugs and cause a misfire.

The OEM plugs for the Northstar have nickel plated threads on the shell to minimize the chances of "galvanic corrosion" between the dissimilar metals causing a problem. Plugs rarely give a problem quite honestly. Most problems experienced in removing plugs occur due to overtorqueing the plugs at the last installation".

didnt know that :( learn something everyday

Michael!

open the hood in the dark & see if you see any any sparks from the wires. if this happened suddenly, I suspect some ignition part is failing. again, plugs going bad, or wires going bad, usually creeps up on you not overnight. I assume there are no codes? a clogged fuel filter has hesitation during acceleration from a stoped position , it will feel fuel starved. check your voltage on the DIC @ idle & when it runs bad.

open the hood in the dark & see if you see any any sparks from the wires. if this happened suddenly, I suspect some ignition part is failing. again, plugs going bad, or wires going bad, usually creeps up on you not overnight. I assume there are no codes? a clogged fuel filter has hesitation during acceleration from a stoped position , it will feel fuel starved. check your voltage on the DIC @ idle & when it runs bad.

The car at idle is fine. As soon as I put it in gear it starts to load up and hesatate. When I reach about 40mph it is fine. This may have been going on sooner and did not know but now it is very jerky. No codes showed up when I just ran them after 3 trys starting the car and holding the off and the passenger warmer button. It does hesatate during acceleration.

Should I replace the fuel rails from the recall first?

Thanks

The fuel rail is being replaced under warranty because of potential leaks. Changing it will NOT affect performance. Someone suggested replacing the fuel rail first because THEN you can change the wires and ensure that the ignition wire routing is correct...

We have had members who had their fuel rail done and the wires were damaged or misrouted.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The fuel rail is being replaced under warranty because of potential leaks. Changing it will NOT affect performance. Someone suggested replacing the fuel rail first because THEN you can change the wires and ensure that the ignition wire routing is correct...

We have had members who had their fuel rail done and the wires were damaged or misrouted.

Thanks Bobby I will do that. And thanks to all for your great responses. I just ordered the parts from Rockauto, and she's going to the dealer in the AM

Keep us posted ! :)

Michael-

Hello Caddy members,

Just got her back from the fuel rail recall and not sure but it doesn't hesatate as bad. Problem is still there, I am wondering now if it is the wires since they had to move them around to change the rail. Next is the relpacement of the plugs and wires. Any trick to removing the plugs? :)

Woody

Sounds good, change those plugs and wires and you will be golden...

how come you didn't ask the dealer to check into the hesitation? i put on new delco wires/plugs and my miss was 90% improved. than a few months later it came back. i put the old wires on as a temporary step and exchanged the new wire set. I got them at a parts house 100mi away with my dads help and it took about a week to do the wire exchange. car ran a little better with the old wires. threw on the new wires and sprayed some contact cleaner into the coil pack wire harness connectors and the miss seems to be gone.

Glad to hear its coming along for you !

Michael-

I did ask the dealer about the missing and there was a silent moment. I then asked how much to replace. The answer I got was 4 hours and $650. I will have my parts today from Rock Auto. $118 for the wire set and $5.86 ea for the plugs. We shall see how it goes. I will keep all informed, Pictures if need be.

Woody B)

Hello Caddy members

Well the verdict is in. I got my parts in 3 days from Rock Auto. Went to my friends house Saturday morning planning on a long one. But to my surprise we started at 10:00am and by 11:05 my seamist green STS was full of life once again. I did remove the coil pack to make things easier and I had no problems with the removal or installation of the plugs or wires. So I guess I saved a few bucks not taking it to the Dealer. I have included a picture of how bad they really were. I did gap the new ones to.060 as stated on the engine tag. I did see a bit of smoke after the tires stopped spinning :lol: I am very happy to say the least. I want to thank all of you again for the input and responses.

Hello Caddy members

Well the verdict is in. I got my parts in 3 days from Rock Auto. Went to my friends house Saturday morning planning on a long one. But to my surprise we started at 10:00am and by 11:05 my seamist green STS was full of life once again. I did remove the coil pack to make things easier and I had no problems with the removal or installation of the plugs or wires. So I guess I saved a few bucks not taking it to the Dealer. I have included a picture of how bad they really were. I did gap the new ones to.060 as stated on the engine tag. I did see a bit of smoke after the tires stopped spinning :lol: I am very happy to say the least. I want to thank all of you again for the input and responses.

It won't let me post the picture. It's ony 298 KB any tricks

Archived