CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'01 DHS Cad engine quits + how to clean seats

3??? for the experts....My '01 Cad DHS engine quits when idling or close to idle (approaching stop sign, etc) but only on occasion.

the leather seats are starting to crack. manual states soap & water...is that the best...or should i use a quality leather conditioner?

car has 50,000 miles...mostly freeway work commute last 13,000 miles, gas mileage is approx. 19 mpg...should I replace the oxygen sensors or have them checked? I need better gas mileage....costs go up...wages don't!

thanks....thanks in advance. Marian

"My '01 Cad DHS engine quits when idling or close to idle (approaching stop sign, etc) but only on occasion."

Have you checked the codes? Might be a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). Mine just stumbled for a split second this afternoon and set the SES light. Sure enough, had the infamous CPS "B" circuit code. Off to the dealer tomorrow.

....the leather seats are starting to crack. manual states soap & water...is that the best...or should i use a quality leather conditioner?

For "cleaning", I use soap and water just like the manual recommends with a very mild detergent such as Woolite

For "conditioning", I use mink oil paste which is available from many places including most quality shoe stores.

But cracks are cracks. Mink oil is not going to repair the damage.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

"My '01 Cad DHS engine quits when idling or close to idle (approaching stop sign, etc) but only on occasion."

Have you checked the codes? Might be a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). Mine just stumbled for a split second this afternoon and set the SES light. Sure enough, had the infamous CPS "B" circuit code. Off to the dealer tomorrow.

Hi Ranger, I was hoping you would answer....and what about the oxygen sensors...for better gas mileage? I am delighted you answered. It appears you have the most knowledge and I am grateful! You've heard all the tales about a lady going to a mechanic.....it is still happening! Thanks...and best to you, Marian

....the leather seats are starting to crack. manual states soap & water...is that the best...or should i use a quality leather conditioner?

For "cleaning", I use soap and water just like the manual recommends with a very mild detergent such as Woolite

For "conditioning", I use mink oil paste which is available from many places including most quality shoe stores.

But cracks are cracks. Mink oil is not going to repair the damage.

thanks, Jim. I want to do prevention. I understand I can't repair the cracks, but I want this car to last a very long time. Sincerely, Marian

Hi Ranger, I was hoping you would answer....and what about the oxygen sensors...for better gas mileage? I am delighted you answered. It appears you have the most knowledge and I am grateful! You've heard all the tales about a lady going to a mechanic.....it is still happening! Thanks...and best to you, Marian

I would not change O2 sensors "just because". If they fail, they will set a DTC (diagnostic Trouble Code). Have you checked yours? Here's how. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadil...pull-codes.html

I do mostly highway driving and am getting 24 mpg. I would expect you should get about the same. Better than 19 anyway. Check the FPR. If it's leaking it can be a cause of poor fuel economy. Very easy to do. Here's how. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadil...l-pressure.html

Some mechanics and shops will take advantage of anyone. Women are more likely to be prey to those types as they are usually less mechanically knowledgable. You alread have an advantage by coming here and being armed with knowledge. Run things by us first and we can tell you what questions to ask.

Some mechanics and shops will take advantage of anyone. Women are more likely to be prey to those types as they are usually less mechanically knowledgable. You alread have an advantage by coming here and being armed with knowledge. Run things by us first and we can tell you what questions to ask.

Yep, it's just a part of life: women are less knowledgable about cars than are men in general. No insult intended to those auto-wise women. And some men can't screw in a lightbulb.

It's a disgrace that mechanics might knowingly take advantage of a customer female or otherwise. We all know it happens, however.

My sister is pleased (I think?!?) to have a bunch of us neanderthals to advise her on ocassion.

This forum, I'm guessing, is (or should be) a great resource for the ladys who don't have or aren't plagued by so many male relatives. :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Yep, it's just a part of life: women are less knowledgable about cars than are men in general. No insult intended to those auto-wise women. And some men can't screw in a lightbulb.

It's a disgrace that mechanics might knowingly take advantage of a customer female or otherwise. We all know it happens, however.

My sister is pleased (I think?!?) to have a bunch of us neanderthals to advise her on ocassion.

This forum, I'm guessing, is (or should be) a great resource for the ladys who don't have or aren't plagued by so many male relatives. :P

Regards,

Warren

Very eloquently said Warren.

thanks, Jim. I want to do prevention. I understand I can't repair the cracks, but I want this car to last a very long time. Sincerely, Marian

JimD is correct of course, cracks can't be repaired.

But if you're serious about leather care, you might want to have a look at: http://www.leatherique.com .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

*We have used the orange cleaner to clean leather seats it takes all the build up off them and its something you want to wipe off quickly or cont to wipe on it while its wet several times. You dont want to let this sit on the seats very long because you will get uneven dicoloration. This will remove any dirt that make have built up.

*Also is they are cracked and have a Dry papery feel to them dont clean them yet cause the paint may come off I made that mistake before.. Use Maguires leather cond once or twice a month in the summer. Or another personal favorite is Lexol Leather Conditioner

*So many people seem to not realize they must cond the seats on the regular bases. Something the sales person whom sold the car new should have told the buyers. Its funny when your in the car business what you see. The lack of care :(

Best Wishes,

Michael Southward

Bloomington,Indiana

http://www.lexol.com/

JimD is correct of course, cracks can't be repaired.

But if you're serious about leather care, you might want to have a look at: http://www.leatherique.com .

Regards,

Warren

thanks, warren...great website info re leather! Best to you, Marian

*We have used the orange cleaner to clean leather seats it takes all the build up off them and its something you want to wipe off quickly or cont to wipe on it while its wet several times. You dont want to let this sit on the seats very long because you will get uneven dicoloration. This will remove any dirt that make have built up.

*Also is they are cracked and have a Dry papery feel to them dont clean them yet cause the paint may come off I made that mistake before.. Use Maguires leather cond once or twice a month in the summer. Or another personal favorite is Lexol Leather Conditioner

*So many people seem to not realize they must cond the seats on the regular bases. Something the sales person whom sold the car new should have told the buyers. Its funny when your in the car business what you see. The lack of care :(

Best Wishes,

Michael Southward

Bloomington,Indiana

http://www.lexol.com/

thanks, Michael. Also, Warren sent "www.leatherique.com" which also was a fount of info....Its wonderful to have experts assist me! Thanks and best to you, Marian

My approach to leather care has always been 'don't use any product on leather that you would not use on your own skin'.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Cracking is due to letting the leather get too dry. Frequent conditioning of the leather keeps it looking new for many years. The leather in my '88 Eldorado with 215k miles is in better shape than many cars with much lower miles. My leather conditioning procedure is to wait for a very hot day, park the car in the sun with the windows closed, apply a liberal amount of condition on the the leather, let set for a hour, come back and add more conditioner to any areas where the leather has soaked up the conditioner. Keep applying more conditioner until the leather will not soak any more of it (may take 5-6 applications). Clean any excess conditioner with paper towels and alcohol. I'll guarantee you that you'll notice that the leather will feel a lot more supple.

IPB Image

As far as repairing leather cracks. My recommendation is using the products sold by www.leatherique.com It is pricey but they will match the color.

There is a much less costly alternative using off the shelf products (Home Depot) but color matching is the difficult part. I can look up the articles if anyone is interested.

IPB Image

Archived