CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Repair Competence

WarrenJ

Didja ever pay an automechanic for service and then drive off without ever looking under the hood and inspecting his work? Did he leave off the radiator cap such that you boiled over 20 miles down the road? Did he leave a wrench under the hood that hit the fan at 60mph? Did he ever mistakenly put a non-vented cap on your Corvair's gas filler tube such that your front mounted gas tank suddenly imploded at speed and jammed your steering column? Yeah, me too!

[Oops, gave my age away there with the Corvair stuff (Judsen supercharger Rochester four bbl + other goodies. It was fun for a kid.).]

Tuesday afternoon I had 27 surgical staples removed, or so I thought. When I removed the bandage at home that evening what would you guess I saw? That's right! One shiny staple right there in the middle. Well, 26 out of 27 isn't so bad, is it? Not even for the medical profession one would hope!

Arrgh! Another 60 mile round trip to the surgeon for *ONE* and only one staple removal. Maybe I'll backbill him for the gasoline.

I'm reminded of one of an old boss' favorite sayings, "Doctors and car mechanics bury their mistakes."

Carpenter, plumber, electrician, bricklayer and yes, even a surgeon . . . . you gotta watch them like a hawk!

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Thanks for the vent . . . .

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'd have taken that sucker out myself before driving another 60 miles.

Thanks Ranger, but it was 30 miles and 9 hours later before I discovered he'd screwed the pooch. :angry:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Oh, I "get it!" By "taking that sucker out," I thought you meant the surgeon, not the staple. :D:D:D Now you know how I was thinking (or maybe not).

After two hospitalizations I wound up back in the pokey for 5 more days due to wound infection. You might understand how reticent I am to perform self-surgery. Not that I haven't done it before . . . . (my GP is gonna do it Wednesday).

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Well, this probably isn't the right place to share it, but I don't hold it a secret.

Angioplasty in February to increase blood flow to my legs (2 hospital days). Oops! blood clot. Far more invasive surgery to fix the blood clot in March (8 hospital days and 27 staples). Oops! wound infection; 5 more April days in the pokey on intravenous antibiotics.

Home since Easter Sunday afternoon. Stir-crazy. Need to get back to work (Did I say that !?!).

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Wow, sounds like you've been having fun. :( I hope you get better real soon. Thank goodness for the internet and TV huh? Have you tried online poker? That's my new past time, well I shouldn't say new, I've been playing on and off for a year and a half now. It's a blast, and I'm actually showing a nice profit with it. :)

Wow, sounds like you've been having fun. :( I hope you get better real soon. Thank goodness for the internet and TV huh? Have you tried online poker? That's my new past time, well I shouldn't say new, I've been playing on and off for a year and a half now. It's a blast, and I'm actually showing a nice profit with it. :)

What's good about online poker everybody has poker face. :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I remember having a valve job done on my wife's 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic by a local Mechanic. When I picked it up I headed down the road and heard a clanging, looked in my rear view mirror and saw a wrench bouncing down the road. Car was not shifting right so I took it back and they forgot to hook up the cable that went from the carb to transmission that controlled the shifting. The car still did not run very well so I started checking vacuum hoses and they were all screwed up, it took me about 2 weeks to get them just right. I guess I got what I paid for because this mechanic's prices were lower than everyone elses.

Oh, I "get it!" By "taking that sucker out," I thought you meant the surgeon, not the staple. :D:D:D Now you know how I was thinking (or maybe not).

After two hospitalizations I wound up back in the pokey for 5 more days due to wound infection. You might understand how reticent I am to perform self-surgery. Not that I haven't done it before . . . . (my GP is gonna do it Wednesday).

Regards,

Warren

No, I meant the staple. Too take the surgeon out you'd have to make the trip anyway. :lol:

I remember having a valve job done on my wife's 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic by a local Mechanic. When I picked it up I headed down the road and heard a clanging, looked in my rear view mirror and saw a wrench bouncing down the road. Car was not shifting right so I took it back and they forgot to hook up the cable that went from the carb to transmission that controlled the shifting. The car still did not run very well so I started checking vacuum hoses and they were all screwed up, it took me about 2 weeks to get them just right. I guess I got what I paid for because this mechanic's prices were lower than everyone elses.

Price is right... HHmmmm

1. Get quotes,

2. Throw out the highest AND THE LOWEST...

3. Choose one of the ones left.

my .02

jim

I was a professional mechanic for awhile. At one shop I did more than half my time redoing other mechanics work. I didn't stay there long.

I keep doing things myself because I'm afraid to take my cars anywhere else!

You have to get the "Do it yourself" home surgery kit!

Yeah, I looked, but all I could find was this: http://mumpy.typepad.com/gimpy_mumpy/2006/...home_doity.html

Didn't apply.

Regards,

Warren

No, I meant the staple. Too take the surgeon out you'd have to make the trip anyway. :lol:

I'm not sure it would have required any gasoline. I expect I might have done it on adrenalin alone. :D:D:D

Posted Image

I was a professional mechanic for awhile. At one shop I did more than half my time redoing other mechanics work. I didn't stay there long.

Yeah, I'm in the electronics field and had the same job you had (by analogy) for a while. It was rewarding at first, but it sucked in the end.

Much happier in a far more professional atmosphere today.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

With my 3rd car a 1996 Dodge Stratus which was agreat car. my moms husbands freind done a break job and some other front end work and the hub and the break on the drivers side was ready to come off at any time. the car had always been to the dealer for everything and from then on it was just that !!

Warren, Im pleased to hear your doing well I hope everything is ok for you !

Michael Southward

Bloomington,Indiana

Warren, Im pleased to hear your doing well I hope everything is ok for you !

Michael Southward

Bloomington,Indiana

Thanks, it's a bit better every day. Psst, wanna buy a walker? :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived