CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bose system

Niteryder

Can someone tell me if there is a way I can determine the source of my radio/CD/cassette problems? I replaced the antenna recently (OEM part). Everything seemed fine for a couple of weeks, when the radio began cutting out, the quiting altogether. Antenna works as it should, clock is on, a low hum can be heard, and radio stations can be picked up, but very low volume. CD will feed and run, but no sound. Could this be the amp? Any checks that I can do? I am in Abbotsford, and there does not seem to be anyone here who can suggest anything to me. I have not been to the GM dealership.

Does it work then not work then work again? Does the buzz go up and down with the rpm's? I'm almost 100 percent confident it is not the deck. What kind of stereo is it? I might have the same problem, be a little more specific, we might be able to help each other out.When it goes out or comes back on does it pop?

Can someone tell me if there is a way I can determine the source of my radio/CD/cassette problems? I replaced the antenna recently (OEM part). Everything seemed fine for a couple of weeks, when the radio began cutting out, the quiting altogether. Antenna works as it should, clock is on, a low hum can be heard, and radio stations can be picked up, but very low volume. CD will feed and run, but no sound. Could this be the amp? Any checks that I can do? I am in Abbotsford, and there does not seem to be anyone here who can suggest anything to me. I have not been to the GM dealership.

The Bose system in your car uses a preamp and each speaker has it's own amplifyer built into the speaker. It sounds like your preamp, in the trunk, near the antenna, is bad. Otherwise, if one, or more speaker amps were bad, you would still have good volume out of the others. And the tuner section in the dash is OK because you can hear the radio playing very weakly.

You must be careful when aquiring a replacement preamp since the standard, non Bose radio, uses a powered amp which looks very similar, but has a finned heat sink on one end.

Coincidently, I have a spare Bose preamp which has been tested and is available for $96. plus $4 priority mail. I paid more than that when I thought I was getting the right amp for my standard radio. It came out of a 93 Eldorado, with Bose, of course.

If this doesn't fix your problem, feel free to ship it back to me for your money back, less any shipping charges.

This piece is easy to change out, just unclip the connectors and loosen 3 each 6mm nuts.

Jim in Phoenix

post-138-1146203716.jpg

Jim in Phoenix

The Bose system in your car uses a preamp and each speaker has it's own amplifyer built into the speaker. It sounds like your preamp, in the trunk, near the antenna, is bad. Otherwise, if one, or more speaker amps were bad, you would still have good volume out of the others. And the tuner section in the dash is OK because you can hear the radio playing very weakly.

You must be careful when aquiring a replacement preamp since the standard, non Bose radio, uses a powered amp which looks very similar, but has a finned heat sink on one end.

Coincidently, I have a spare Bose preamp which has been tested and is available for $96. plus $4 priority mail. I paid more than that when I thought I was getting the right amp for my standard radio. It came out of a 93 Eldorado, with Bose, of course.

If this doesn't fix your problem, feel free to ship it back to me for your money back, less any shipping charges.

This piece is easy to change out, just unclip the connectors and loosen 3 each 6mm nuts.

Jim in Phoenix

Thanks Jim - I am very interested. I just want to check and make sure I don't have a loose connection somewhere. Today, for example, it worked fine for about 5 minutes or so, then began cutting out and finally stopped altogether.....

Larry

Does it work then not work then work again? Does the buzz go up and down with the rpm's? I'm almost 100 percent confident it is not the deck. What kind of stereo is it? I might have the same problem, be a little more specific, we might be able to help each other out.When it goes out or comes back on does it pop?

Yes, the symptoms you describe are very similar. My system is a Bose Gold -

Jim in Phoenix

Hi Jim:

I would like to take your offer - how do you want me to pay for it. I can give you a visa (off-line) if you send me your e-m or ph# - or send a check (although I'm in Canada I have an account at Bank of America and a US Postoffice box address where it can be sent. Look fwd to hearing from you.

Niteryder: I have never seen an STS with 400k on it.

How far did the engine/tranny make it before work had to be done?

Ted.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Niteryder: I have never seen an STS with 400k on it.

How far did the engine/tranny make it before work had to be done?

Ted.

Had problems with the torque converter at about 250k (miles) and, since no one would do just the T.C., replaced with a guaranteed used tranny - it has been great (from Lynnwood Auto in Washington St.) At about 300K I did the head gasket. Valves & rings were great - did not need anything, timing chain, etc. was still great. Still on the original exhaust system but likely will replace that this summer. Now at 422K (680K kms) and counting.

Niteryder

Had problems with the torque converter at about 250k (miles) and, since no one would do just the T.C., replaced with a guaranteed used tranny - it has been great (from Lynnwood Auto in Washington St.) At about 300K I did the head gasket. Valves & rings were great - did not need anything, timing chain, etc. was still great. Still on the original exhaust system but likely will replace that this summer. Now at 422K (680K kms) and counting.

Niteryder

WOW! I'm impressed, and with me at *only* 129K miles I'm even more hopeful!

Many more happy miles.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Thanks for the reply.

With all the negative Northstar threads hanging around, it's nice to see someone who has put tremendous miles on their Cadillac.

Well done, it reassures all of us that our beast's aren't dead at 100k.

Ted.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I do recall seeing a post sometime ago about this being cause by the high freq of the suspension computer. I have sorta noticed this with my car as well but its not enough to really tear everything out.

Michael

And Im very pleased to see 400k miles !

my aunt was getting well over 200k out of her cadillacs in the 1970 and 80's. being a corp rep called for lots of driving for her ! When I sold my 96 Deville it had 179k miles on it the only major the I ever had to do was a total replace of the suspenion system.

Michael Southward

Bloomington,Indiana

Had the same problem. Turned out to be where the wire plugged into the antenna itself. You might try turning on the radio and wiggling the antenna wire where it plugs into the antenna and where it plugs into the amp. What you hear or don't hear will tell the tale.

Archived