CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strut time

JimD

For the record and future readers, all of my posts in this thread relate to a 1998 to 2004 Seville and a 2000 to 2005 Deville chassis.

The good news for similar vehicle owners is - replacing the struts at home does not automatically mean your car needs a front end alignment. The front suspension design on these cars is a 'net build' concept which in this case means there is no slack in any of the strut mounting holes. What you get is what you have, and it should fall within the limits of front end geometry specifications.

I have driven my car less than 50 miles since the strut replacement and based on that limited experience I do not expect to need an alignment. It drives out perfect!

Earlier and later model front suspension systems could be, and probably are, slightly different.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I found out about the alignment thing when I changed my struts also. The '98-'04 Seville only has the capibility of changing the toe in/out setting. The caster and camber is not adjustable. Unless of course you oblong out the mounting holes in the strut, and the strut tower. Otherwise, getting an alignment, even after suspension work, is just throwing money away. If your car gets out of alignment, what you really need to do is replace suspension parts (ball joints, control arm bushings, strut mount). That will fix the alignment issue, if you have one. So the next time you get new tires, and the tire shop suggests getting an alignment, just tell them no. Unless of course they put it on the rack for free.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Archived