CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Struts and Shock again

woody

its c1711 b1009 i have tested the connections between the computer and the struts and ohmed the struts to check to see if they were good . that they're Good. but the computer says that the left front strut is shorted to the ground. when it is not. :( because i tested the wires. i went by thing that the guy that works on the suspension system at the cadillac dealership.

suspensionless in indiana,

michael :(

Clear the codes. See which codes are set after driving a few miles.

Start a new topic.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The electronic struts on my '97 Eldo are getting a little "wallowy" and will have to be replaced before too long and I'm going to replace them with the electronics. I just can't imagine my car without the electronic suspension. It's a '97 black on black with a half Landau roof in excellent condition with 79k on it (I'm so anal I clean the engine bay once a month!). And for sure not worth much as a used vehicle, but it's paid for, and it's a darn nice car so I'm gonna spring the loot and keep it a darn nice car.

Unless I win the lottery then I'll buy a new XLR-V - black on black. :D

When the electric struts went south on my 96 it was gonna

cost a cool $2500 BIG ones at the Caddy dealer !!!!!!!!!!!

So I happily got a new 03 DeVille !................geo

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Monroe has a shock/strut part for my ETC 1998 - the rear shocks are 393 US at Rock Auto, which is a decent savings. They don't list the front shocks from Monroe, but shock warehouse.com has them for 441 and 373, which is a little over 1600 for the set.

Does anyone have any info/experience with these Monroes?

THANKS

Bill

I will follow your recommendations Jim and do some testing and let you know what I find out. As you know, I have used the 12 ohm/50 watt resistor that Boston Suspensions provided and it does not work.

I will try to do this over the next couple of weeks, what values do you think I should try besides 4.7 ohm, Mike

Just to make one point clear for anyone willing to go with non-electronic struts / shocks. The resistor value that fooled the CVRSS OBD on my '98 was a 4.7k Ohm, 1/2 Watt. That is 4,700 Ohms, 1/2 Watt. The Radio Shack package will say "4.7k-Ohm" and is #271-1124.

For a '97 and earlier (with RSS), if the 4.7k Ohm does not work (which I doubt), I would try a 10k Ohm, 1/2 Watt resistor. That is 10,000 Ohms. Radio Shack #271-1126.

Feedback is always welcome.

Jim,

I've had the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message on my '96 for quite awhile. The cause is the right rear shock - the damper is shorted - I think the code was RS0028. I tried the 10K resistor yesterday afternoon and is has supressed the message. I took the car on a 1-1/2 mile test run and there was no message. Ususlly, the message pops up before I reach the end of the driveway.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Nice Kevin! I will be trying the same on my 96, Thanks (1/2 watt)? Thanks

Edited by BodybyFisher

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

It was Jim's idea for the resistor value - I just tried it out and it worked. I'll know more after I have some more miles on it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks Jim, and thanks Kevin for trying it out...

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I will follow your recommendations Jim and do some testing and let you know what I find out. As you know, I have used the 12 ohm/50 watt resistor that Boston Suspensions provided and it does not work.

I will try to do this over the next couple of weeks, what values do you think I should try besides 4.7 ohm, Mike

Just to make one point clear for anyone willing to go with non-electronic struts / shocks. The resistor value that fooled the CVRSS OBD on my '98 was a 4.7k Ohm, 1/2 Watt. That is 4,700 Ohms, 1/2 Watt. The Radio Shack package will say "4.7k-Ohm" and is #271-1124.

For a '97 and earlier (with RSS), if the 4.7k Ohm does not work (which I doubt), I would try a 10k Ohm, 1/2 Watt resistor. That is 10,000 Ohms. Radio Shack #271-1126.

Jim,

I've had the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message on my '96 for quite awhile. The cause is the right rear shock - the damper is shorted - I think the code was RS0028. I tried the 10K resistor yesterday afternoon and is has supressed the message. I took the car on a 1-1/2 mile test run and there was no message. Ususlly, the message pops up before I reach the end of the driveway.

Good deal! Now we know for sure that the RSS and CVRSS system message can be easily and inexpensively turned off with the appropriate value resistor.

Now we need someone with the magnetic fluid struts to do the same test. I suspect the 10K resistor would defeat the message on that ride control module as well.

How do you plan to water proof and insulate the installation Kevin?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jim,

Good deal! Now we know for sure that the RSS and CVRSS system message can be easily and inexpensively turned off with the appropriate value resistor.

Now we need someone with the magnetic fluid struts to do the same test. I suspect the 10K resistor would defeat the message on that ride control module as well.

How do you plan to water proof and insulate the installation Kevin?

Well, Right now, I just inserted the leads of the resistor into the body harness connector and taped the whole thing with electrical tape. If long term testing prooves successful, I'll probably cut the wires on the shock side, solder the resistor in place and use heat shrink tubing and RTV to weatherproof the connection.

When I need to replace the rear shocks, I'll probably go with the AC Delco passive air leveling shocks unless I get a deal on electronic shocks. The actuator in the original shock on the right rear bought the farm at 72,000 miles.

Thanks for the information on the resistor values. I was going to experiment with values but that project didn't make high enough priority on my list...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks for the information on the resistor values. I was going to experiment with values but that project didn't make high enough priority on my list...

Glad to be able to make a contribution to the cause. I was motivated by the fact that my factory installed stuts are overdue for replacement (145,xxx miles) and I am still changing my mind every day on the OEM versus passive decision. Clearing the nuisance message would quickly become a pain for me.

Reading here and on cadillacforums.com convinced me that the aftermarket passive strut suppliers where taking the wrong approach to defeating the message with a low resistance value, high wattage, resistor. I just had to know how to properly and efficiently defeat the message just in case I decide to go with passive on the front of my '98.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

You know what else? I think I would have a hard time selling my car with that Service Ride Control message on... Now, I think I will be able to see my car much more easily... I put my order in today for a 96 thru 98 STS.... I have a good friend watching for one to come in at a Penna Caddy dealer...

Glad to be able to make a contribution to the cause. I was motivated by the fact that my factory installed stuts are overdue for replacement (145,xxx miles) and I am still changing my mind every day on the OEM versus passive decision. Clearing the nuisance message would quickly become a pain for me.

Reading here and on cadillacforums.com convinced me that the aftermarket passive strut suppliers where taking the wrong approach to defeating the message with a low resistance value, high wattage, resistor. I just had to know how to properly and efficiently defeat the message just in case I decide to go with passive on the front of my '98.

Yeah - clearing the message is sort of a PITA - in my case, my wife is the principle driver of the SLS but every time I drive the car, I was annoyed at the message.

I too wonder why the aftermarket suppliers continue to sell resistors that don't work....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I was thinking the same thing, its amazing that they have not done any experimenting. You saw what Boston sent me, 12 ohm 50 watt resistor. And a 10,000 ohm 1/2 watt does the trick. I think Boston owes you Jim....

I can't wait to try the resistor.

I was thinking the same thing, its amazing that they have not done any experimenting. You saw what Boston sent me, 12 ohm 50 watt resistor. And a 10,000 ohm 1/2 watt does the trick. I think Boston owes you Jim....

It is not my intention here to bad-mouth the aftermarket folks. Boston (and others) were probably acting in good faith when they supplied a 12 Ohm, 50 Watt resistor for your model / year.

The problem is the 12 Ohm value given in the 1996 Service Manual is what an Ohmeter would display for a damper valve continuity check.

This entire ride control message discussion involves values of inductance, inductive reactance, and impedance. There is more electronic theory than most folks want to, or need to, know when they only want to replace struts or shocks.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Oh no Jim, that was not what I meant at all, I was not implying that you nor was I bad mouthing the aftermarket guys. But from my discussions with Boston, they did a lot of research to solve this issue. I myself have dealt with this suspension message for quite some time. Its just that, it seems that the FIRST resistor you recommended worked. I say, bravo Jim!

It is not my intention here to bad-mouth the aftermarket folks. Boston (and others) were probably acting in good faith when they supplied a 12 Ohm, 50 Watt resistor for your model / year.

The problem is the 12 Ohm value given in the 1996 Service Manual is what an Ohmeter would display for a damper valve continuity check.

This entire ride control message discussion involves values of inductance, inductive reactance, and impedance. There is more electronic theory than most folks want to, or need to, know when they only want to replace struts or shocks.

GUYS.......I did the resistor trick on my 96 Deville to turn off

the SSS light. Can't remember the ohm value and the old

posts are long gone (courtesy of the troll sob hacker a

short time ago).

Also note another CCR resistor trick and instructions to

shut off the SSS message light for Sevilles and 95 and

older Devilles is located in the "How to and FAQ" section.

............geo

Edited by sonjaab

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

I wrote to Monroe tech service and got this reply:

Thank you for your interest in Monroe units.

The units that you are inquiring about will function exactly as the

original equipment units that came on your vehicle functioned. The Monroe

replacement units for your application do not fall under a specific product

name because of the electronics involved with their design. Monroe refers

to these units as "specialty" units.

For further questions please feel free to contact the technical assistance

line at 734-384-7846.

Jim,

I asked my wife afout the service ride control message last night - she said it still comes up but not at every ignition cycle.

Edited by KHE

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

maybe its time to check the connections to the computer. my struts would work fine off and on like that and then it was the computer. and with the resistors thats what really made me question it.

michael ;)

I asked my wife afout the service ride control message last night - she said it still comes up but not at every ignition cycle.

Sorry to hear that Kevin. My knee-jerk would be to suspect the resistor connections.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Sorry to hear that Kevin. My knee-jerk would be to suspect the resistor connections.

Yeah - I need to solder it in place and see what happens. I now have another project on my hands as you know. The Fleetwood comes out of winter storage in two weeks - about the time I want to start timeserting the STS.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71