CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'87 Allante

Ed Fenwick

Aloha,

The paper today has an '87 Allante for $2900.00 It says restored, but that can mean anything. I don't know anything about the car but do you all know of any specific issues that I should check if I go look at it. It would be great to get back into a Cadillac again, but maybe I am spoiled by the Seville. Does the Allante ride like a 450 SL ?

I will appreciate your thoughts, Ed I am happy that you enjoy yours!

Ed

IMO

They rode a lot better than a MB SL. The seats are very firm compared to North American cars but they are very comfortable. They are very well built for a topless car... Very solid. Very heavy.

Most of the body work on these car is Aluminum so rust is not much of an issue though the main chassis and uni-body are stamped steel.

I would bet that "restored" means new top... Early ones would rub holes in themselves in the middle of the "B" pillar and new weather stripping.

These are fun cars to drive and great to be seen in and are total magnets for whatever you might be into. B). However parts for them are IMPOSIBLE to get now... and even when you could get the parts they were EXPENSIVE to fix.

I would pay close attention to the ABS system on this car... The early Bosch systems have "issues"... The Bose speakers also "cook" themselves but they are rebuildable if you catch them early... The 4.1/4.5 engines have there own issues with head gaskets and leaks but like the N* IMO these are a little over blown.

Having said that...

This Car + Waikiki Beach = Monster Fun!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Did you see this Ed?

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1980/cad87a.htm

If I recall these cars had problems with the covertible top leaking.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

ONLY THE HOOD AND TRUNK LID ARE ALUMINUM, THE REST IS TWO SIDED GALVINIZ STEEL. MY SPELLING SUCKS. THAT WAS THE FIRST YEAR FOR THAT CAR AND IT IS SERVERLY UNDER POWERED. ONLY 160 HP IF I REMEMBER RIGHT. IF YOU LIKE THE ALLANTE AND WANT TO GET ONE, WAIT, SAVE UP A FEW MORE DOLLARS AND FIND A NORTHSTARED `93. CADILLAC GOT IT RIGHT AND THEN STOPPED MAKING THE CAR. OH YEA, NO AIR BAG IN THE `87 ALLANTE. TRY THE ALLANTE CLUB WEB SITE. YOU`LL FIND A LOT OF USEFUL INFORMATATION THERE BUT, ALSO SOME VERY STRONG OPINIONS BETWEEN YEARS OF ALLANTES. GREAT CAR, CAN`T WAIT FOR SUMMER. THE `93 HAS THE BEST BRAKING SYSTEM. THE OTHER FIVE YEARS OF PRODUCTION HAD BRAKES WITH A ABS PUMP SETUP. IF THE PUMP FAILS.....YOU HAVE NO BRAKES..... AT ALL. NONE. ZERO. GET READY TO CRASH. YOU CAN BUY A REBUILT ABS PUMP FOR AROUND $1000.00. BRAND NEW, IF YOU CAN FIND ONE, IS $3000.00.

Aloha,

Thanks guys, I guess I better look this one over real close then. I have seen two on the island in the past ten years, one was white and the other was a dark Burgundy or something. I will see if the owner returns my call otherwise, I won't pursue it.

Thanks Ed

I've got an '87 and a '93 Allante so I can speak on both of them.

You can read all about the '87 here.

The engine has 170 hp which isn't very powerful but isn't anemic either. For normal driving, it is plenty adequate and even has plenty of power to get one in trouble. It also uses less gas than the other engines that were used in later years. You can expect around 25 mpg on the freeways.

The ABS brakes work very well but is very expensive to service on the '87. Make sure you don't see any brake messages come up. You can test the health of the ABS brakes by starting the car, letting the pressure build up, then shutting the engine off and count the number of time you can press the brakes before it hardens up. You should get something between 20-30 times before it hardens up. Another thing, if the ABS system is bad, I don't see why one could delete it and use the braking system off the Seville/Eldorado. They're essentially the same car under the skin

Some things to check out before buying the car are the rear tail lights, rear top pull down, power windows and transmission. These are very costly items on this particular car.

IPB Image

Well the owner called me last night. His restoration was to fix the things that went bad. He put in a new interior ( tiger stripe), and green Earl Shibe paint. I didn't ask any other questions, That was not the car for me.

I don't think that I can have a car that is expensive to maintain, I think that I will stick to an El Dorado or Seville.

Thanks so much for all of your help. Ed

Well the owner called me last night. His restoration was to fix the things that went bad. He put in a new interior ( tiger stripe), and green Earl Shibe paint. I didn't ask any other questions, That was not the car for me.

I don't think that I can have a car that is expensive to maintain, I think that I will stick to an El Dorado or Seville.

Thanks so much for all of your help. Ed

WOW, Earl Shibe? He has been around a long time. Must be a hell of a painter by now........lol.

He put in a new interior ( tiger stripe), and green Earl Shibe paint.

Dayam!! That sounds more like "molestation" than "restoration"!!! :angry:

Has it got spinnaz too? :blink:

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Archived