CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What Oil in my ´95 Northstar ?

FSchuett

Frank,

I better respond in english, so that others can understand what we are talking...

The recommendation is 10-W-30 as written on the oil filler cap, but the german owners manual calls for 5-W-30 all year and that's what I use. 10-W-30 is nearly unobtainable over here.

Non-synthetic is sufficient for normal driving habits. Use Oil life monitor for changes, or at least once a year. I don't know whether the oil life monitor takes time into account, cause I drive about 50,000 km's a year, the "change Oil"-message pops up after 4 months...

Use a quality oil filter, either OEM or i.e. Purolator. I always buy four or so at a time at my supplier.

Bis dann

Stefan

Frank,

I better respond in english, so that others can understand what we are talking...

The recommendation is 10-W-30 as written on the oil filler cap, but the german owners manual calls for 5-W-30 all year and that's what I use. 10-W-30 is nearly unobtainable over here.

Non-synthetic is sufficient for normal driving habits. Use Oil life monitor for changes, or at least once a year. I don't know whether the oil life monitor takes time into account, cause I drive about 50,000 km's a year, the "change Oil"-message pops up after 4 months...

Use a quality oil filter, either OEM or i.e. Purolator. I always buy four or so at a time at my supplier.

Bis dann

Stefan

I better to add in English too. :D OLM does not take time into account, but rather monitors your driving pattern (say, short trips versus highway). You better to change the oil at least once a year no matter how much you actually drove the car. The Guru has explained that even if you ran the engine with fresh motor oil just a little bit, the oil will get some combustion byproducts which will react with oil and produce undesirable chemicals. Those bad chemicals (H2SO4 for example) will eat up the bearings! :blink:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

My '99 is the same, Caddy calls for 10W-30, which I run most of the summer, but this winter I switched to Havoline 5W-30 and am EXTREMELY impressed with it. In fact I have settled on Havoline dino as MY official Cadillac oil, though I think it came with with and older version of DINO Mobil...in those days it was called "Drive Clean". (per the GURU)

I did a 12,650 mile interval with 5W-30 dino Havoline in my 2004 5.3 Silverado. Blackstone Labs did an oil analysis and it came back as "ALMOST" time to change it! NO KIDDING!

I've tried them all, even German Castrol 0W-30 FULL SYNTHETIC (GREEN STUFF) and though all did well, for my money I'll stick with Havoline.

This is one of those forbidden topics, and I fear I've already said too much. Forgive me if I don't respond back to comments.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived