CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WOT Turbo Tune

MARK 99STS

The stock tranny has a 305 lb.-ft. torque capacity, see my article above...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Glad your project is going so well Mark; have been following along. The turbo characteristics may actually help with tranny life, but worst case you get to do more experiments in that area too. Don't go to a bigger turbo til we get more info on this one please lol.

Standing by to hear Dyno and/or times. You already had the quick STS that I knew of, so this is bound to help :D

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce does bring a good point that the characteristics of the turbo may help tranny life. Not at WOT upshifting probably, but at least from a launch.

What's interesting is the new Impala/Monte Carlo SS cars, with the TFWD Vortec 5300 V8 drivetrain, use "4T65-E-HD" transmissions, the MN7:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/produ...ng%20trans.html

The literature on the GM Media site indicates a 258mm torque converter and a heavy duty final drive gear set, but not much else. The engine torque on the FWD 5300 is claimed at 323 lb*ft, along with 303 hp.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hey,

I could definately host the 17mb file. Also, you can send it easily using www.yousendit.com...let me know, I could get it going tonite... I want to see this thing in action.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Other than the built in Diff and the fact the tranny is folded in half on itself, I would love to know the difference between a 4L80E and a 4T80E

I do know the 4L80s are basically an over driven 400 and are "indestructible"

3900 pound "turbo" car running 10's on a 4L80 Link

If they share similar guts then something like

800 ft lbs rated 4L80

Would solve all issues...

BTW GM rates the 4L80 at 440 ft-lbs

GM pdf Link

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

The internal structure of the 4T80E and TH400 are very difference. It's the added internal bracing that gives the TH400 so much strength over lesser transmissions like the TH350 or 700-R4. This internal structure is completely different from the 4T80E because it's not a transaxle. You might as well comare it to GM's new 6spd auto in the new Cadillacs. They probably share more similarties with the TH400 than the 4T80E does.

Being that Art Car built the Tranny prolly means it has some Th400 parts in it, along with other parts not even know to man kind. There is probably nothing stock other then the bolt pattern on that baby. LOL

After having over 20 years racing at the local dragway here, the rule of thumb is that if you make that large increase in HP & TQ numbers, driveline is sure to fail next without some preventive measures. Weakest link in rear drive is the U-joints, so i am sure CV's are weak on FWD. Only good thing is your pulling weight and not transfering it as hard as RWD, so traction will be a problem.

You need more then anything to make 11 sec pass is traction, and only way to get that, is sticky slicks, and then broken drivetrain parts follow soon after. I'm guessing 12 sec is good guess here if you get the tires to hook up. I had 300hp @ the wheels ( i have pics of it on the dyno) in 67 442 weighing 3850 without me with 3.08 rear gear and 2800 stall convert.(Th400) pulled 13.26@ 104 mph in a set of drag radials. In the Impala i have 219 HP @ RW and it pulled a 14.82 @ 92 mph in street tires @ 25 psi.

It sounds like Mark is having a ball with his awesome Caddy! It sure is amazing how much $$ its takes to make more HP in these computer cars, i'm used to good old cubic inches and a little elbow grease. :P

Good luck and looking forward to time slips and dyno pulls.

Archived