CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Why is my Caddy such a piece of $%#^?

I have posted on this board and the previous one the saga of my '92 Deville. I got the car from my Granddad who only put 34k miles on it in 11 years. It currently has 34,505 miles. Here's a quick recap for those who didn't see the thread.

About two months ago my car started losing its heat from time to time and shortly thereafter it would overheat. At first, it only happened when going up a long hill on the way home from work. Then, it became more and more frequent of a problem. Lots of things were suggested on this forum including a bad water pump, thermostat, hoses, blown head gasket, etc....

Now, here I am again. I just picked my car up from the shop after having the water pump replaced, thermostat replaced, and cooling system flushed. Driving it home on the 4-lane, it was overheating worse than ever. This probably has something to do with the warm temps too. But, it now has a new pump, thermo, upper/lower hoses, heater hoses, and 50/50 and it is still overheating and the heater goes cold on me! That doesn't make any %%$#ing sense!! If it is overheating, the heater should be scaulding hot and my shoes should be flaming, but no, it's ice cold!! One day when it was doing the usual crap I popped the hood and felt the top hose. It was hot, but easily pinched together so I'm thinking no flow from pump or thermo. Then, I touched the heater hoses and they were cold even though I had it turned on all the way home!

What the heck is going on here guys?? I am about ready to set fire to it and shove it over the hill. Actually, a guy at work wants to buy it, but I can't sell it like this! Please help! :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

:rolleyes:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have posted on this board and the previous one the saga of my '92 Deville. I got the car from my Granddad who only put 34k miles on it in 11 years. It currently has 34,505 miles. Here's a quick recap for those who didn't see the thread.

About two months ago my car started losing its heat from time to time and shortly thereafter it would overheat. At first, it only happened when going up a long hill on the way home from work. Then, it became more and more frequent of a problem. Lots of things were suggested on this forum including a bad water pump, thermostat, hoses, blown head gasket, etc....

Now, here I am again. I just picked my car up from the shop after having the water pump replaced, thermostat replaced, and cooling system flushed. Driving it home on the 4-lane, it was overheating worse than ever. This probably has something to do with the warm temps too. But, it now has a new pump, thermo, upper/lower hoses, heater hoses, and 50/50 and it is still overheating and the heater goes cold on me! That doesn't make any %%$#ing sense!! If it is overheating, the heater should be scaulding hot and my shoes should be flaming, but no, it's ice cold!! One day when it was doing the usual crap I popped the hood and felt the top hose. It was hot, but easily pinched together so I'm thinking no flow from pump or thermo. Then, I touched the heater hoses and they were cold even though I had it turned on all the way home!

What the heck is going on here guys?? I am about ready to set fire to it and shove it over the hill. Actually, a guy at work wants to buy it, but I can't sell it like this! Please help! :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

:rolleyes:

I had about the same problem on my 94 Deville. I ended up flushing out the Heater core (twice) and then i only got luke warm heat, so I replaced the Thermostat and received instant heat(run you out type). It appears that my Heater core was plugged and my thermostat was sticking open & shut at times. Sometimes the most obvious is overlooked. Hope this helps.

I'll bet he doesn't have the car anymore.

Bingo! Traded it in on a 2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 4x4 shortly after my last post. I had been wanting a new truck and those dang cash back offers and APR's were too good to pass up. Who knows what happened to the old '92. Sorry Granddad :unsure:

The only Caddy anything I have right now is a 1973 Caddy 500 big-block waiting to be rebuilt and stuffed into something someday. It was in my 1984 Blazer until the oil pump crapped out :o

Archived