CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cabin Air Filter

Ranger

I decided to check the cabin air filter today inspite of all the horror stories. They come out pretty easy. They were pretty dirty so I took the time to slap them on the floor to knock the dirt loose, blew them out and vacuumed each fold til they were clean again. Reinstalling them is impossible. They are on my work bench and will likely stay there. The guy who designed that system should be hunted down and circumsized with a rusty can opener. mad.gif

Maybe you can borrow a dexterious 12 year-old neighborhood kiddo? One that can do headstands without blacking out. My '98 still has the original filter and it's staying in there.

FWIW, they got it right on the '00 to '05 Devilles; the cabin air filter is in the intake plumbing at the bottom of the front glass. Painless job to change that one.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

To install the filters, you need to lie on your back, and have your right hand underneath the throttle pedal. Slide the first one in, push it up. Engage the second one into the first one, slide it in, and then up. The third one is the tricky one. But the procedure is the same. It took me 12 minutes to change mine. It really isn't that hard.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

In 40 some years of owning cars I never had a cabin air filter till now. After taking out the filter this summer I dont have a car with a cabin filter again. And I wont, at least not this one. Besides the air flow is so improved I'm not sure I'd put it back in even if I could.

Not doubting your word, but I'd love to see this job done in 12 minutes. Your a better man than I.

If you find yourself in NJ, let me know. I kid you not. My car had almost 70k on it, and I decided to change it. After reading all of the horror stories, that just made me have to give it a try. I timed myself. The entire job, from start to finish, was 12 minutes. The last filter took the longest, at about 4 minutes.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

I think I remember hearing someone say $65 - $75 for the filters butI don't know if that is dealer price or not. Don't know about Haynes. Post your results. Misery loves company.

I need to do this also. My '98 STS hit 108,000 miles today. I think it's time. How much does it cost for the filters??? Is the changing procedure in the Haynes manuals?? I have one out in the car.

Check Advance Auto Parts...

I found the filters for a '99 STS, about $44, Purolator...

They offer AD Delco....$81 !!!

Autozone does not offer a filter!

good luck!

How often does Cadillac recommend replacing? Dodge recommends every 15,000 miles, or two years. I'm sure most never get replaced.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

What was the first year they put the cabin filter in and what models? Was it with the redesign of the sts in 98?

Chris (formerly cpetro45)

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

What was the first year they put the cabin filter in and what models? Was it with the redesign of the sts in 98?

Chris (formerly cpetro45)

98 for the SLS/STS and 2000 for the Devilles.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Do not buy the Purolator at Advance Auto. It doesn't have the leading guides/tracks in the tab that guides the filter into the next one! I purchased an aftermarket set from a Canadian Website last spring. It didn't have these tracks either. I never was able to get the new filters in. After 2 hours and trying to get the first filter back out after it fell inside was a night mare!!! The Website gave me a refund. I ordered the Purolator version from Advance Auto and it too didn't have these guides/tracks so I just gave it back to them. The Wix from Rock Auto arrived and it had the guides/tracks just like the OEM and slid into each other very smoothly. It didn't have any charcoal/Carbon for the odors though! Not to concerned about the odors, more interested in the dust/dirt/pollen. I was able to install these fairly easlily. Without the guides/tracks like the OEM, it is nearly impossible to get them to line up correctly when trying to install the 2nd and 3rd filter. I was even able to install these without laying on my back! With the Wix, I say 20 mins is quite do-able . I'm pretty comfortable replacing the cabin filter and plan to do this once a year now!!! If your in the Detroit Metro area some time, I would be happy to pop a set into your STS.

Do not buy the Purolator at Advance Auto. It doesn't have the leading guides/tracks in the tab that guides the filter into the next one! I purchased an aftermarket set from a Canadian Website last spring. It didn't have these tracks either. I never was able to get the new filters in. After 2 hours and trying to get the first filter back out after it fell inside was a night mare!!! The Website gave me a refund. I ordered the Purolator version from Advance Auto and it too didn't have these guides/tracks so I just gave it back to them. The Wix from Rock Auto arrived and it had the guides/tracks just like the OEM and slid into each other very smoothly. It didn't have any charcoal/Carbon for the odors though! Not to concerned about the odors, more interested in the dust/dirt/pollen. I was able to install these fairly easlily. Without the guides/tracks like the OEM, it is nearly impossible to get them to line up correctly when trying to install the 2nd and 3rd filter. I was even able to install these without laying on my back! With the Wix, I say 20 mins is quite do-able . I'm pretty comfortable replacing the cabin filter and plan to do this once a year now!!! If your in the Detroit Metro area some time, I would be happy to pop a set into your STS.

Do you make house calls to southern OHIO ? blink.gif

....  I say 20 mins is quite do-able .  I'm pretty comfortable replacing the cabin filter and plan to do this once a year now!!!  If your in the Detroit Metro area some time, I would be happy to pop a set into your STS.

Darn... and I spent a lot more than 20 minutes trapped in the I-96 and I-94 construction mess last Saturday. You could have changed my filter several times!!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I bought a Wix part #24874 at a local parts store. It cost $28.61. Forget the AC Delco filter.

Don

Hmm, Rockauto lists the Wix part # as 24813 for an '02 SLS $25.79.

Edit:

Upon further investigation, the Rockauto number appears to be for a Deville. In the picture it looks like it is one piece. Guess I'll have to call them and order over the phone to get the right one...... I hope.

Edit again:

Did a search on Rockauto by part #24874. That is the correct one. Even the picture is correct. $19.04.

OK, you guys give me hope and inspiration. For $30 I'll give it another shot. I WILL NOT GO DOWN IN DEFEAT. mad.gif

That's the spirit. Everytime I get under the dash board, I hark back to the days when I was a nimble 160 pounds and I was so skinny that I could look through a keyhole with both eyes.

These days.. getting under the dash for me causes a recovery period of varying lengths due to a pulled muscle, strained rib etc. Plus my eyes bulge out from hanging upside down! I am so glad I go to the gym 5 times a week for nothing! blink.gif Last week I struggled with replacing the vacuum servo on the parking brake and said....next time I will remove the FRONT seats to make more room to work! laugh.gif Hell I can justify that somehow easily, maybe I will find the old Monte Blanc that I lost or find loose change. The worst part of getting under the dash these days is that my reading glasses are optimized for about 18 inches, about the distance my monitor is from my face. When I get under the dash to do stuff....I am blind since I can't move back 18 inches.... laugh.gif Next time I go to the eye doctor I can see asking for eye glasses that are optimized for a 6 inch range in a bi-focal... I guess getting old is better than the alternative..

Next time I go to the eye doctor I can see asking for eye glasses that are optimized for a 6 inch range in a bi-focal... I guess getting old is better than the alternative..

Scotty

For that purpose you can get some 8 buck cheaters at Sav-On - they work just as well in that context. I have a few pairs depending on how close work I need to do. They're great!

Does the Seville require three of the filters? Or when you order it are there three filters in the package?

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

The Seville uses 3 interlocking filters. Order 1 and it comes in 3 segments. I ordered it on the 2nd and it was delivered on the 3rd. Now that's service. Rockauto ROCKS! Got it installed a few minutes ago with much more ease that I expected. Took about 10-15 minutes. Success feels soooo good.

The Seville uses 3 interlocking filters. Order 1 and it comes in 3 segments. I ordered it on the 2nd and it was delivered on the 3rd. Now that's service. Rockauto ROCKS! Got it installed a few minutes ago with much more ease that I expected. Took about 10-15 minutes. Success feels soooo good.

Larry,

what did u do differently that made the install so much easier than with the old filters as previously reported at the top of this thread?

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Oh, I see. They're three long, skinny filters that slide into each other, right?

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Archived