CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Lending "Library" for Special Tools?

There are a number of special tools, such as timesert installation kits, water pump removal tools, and the like, that are needed from time to time when working on Cadillacs.

It has occurred to me that, if someone would be willing to administer it, we could establish a "library" of such special tools that our members could borrow when they need them. The borrower would be responsible for delivery costs both ways and there would have to be a deposit to insure that the tool was returned in good condition and in a timely manner.

The tools could be donated by our members who have purchased them and no longer need them. I have a complete timesert installation kit I would be willing to donate to the project.

The key, of course, is that there would have to be someone willing to organize and administer the "library". Is there anyone out there who would be willing to take on this responsibility?

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

There are some items, like the water pump tool, that work ok as rental tools for loaning out. Basically the $20 rental pays the postage to the user plus enough that if the tool disappeared I could replace it. It was originally donated. The tool is a $120 or so; there are knock-offs that some have used successfully that are only $20 on ebay. But the $20 rental on a $120 tool made sense.

Other things, like the $3K Tech II, we have not figured out a good, safe way to share/loan out. The cost of replacing it is simply too high if someone keeps it and disappears. The rental price on this would need to be near $500 due to the risk, and it's not a great value at that rental.

Timesert kit as a loaner would be interesting. There are only a small audience of people who can do the time sert themselves, but saving that $140? kit price and only paying for the timeserts you actually use would be nice. So it might be a $20 rental plus replacement cost of 4 or 8 parts, or $35 rental total?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived