CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New & old kills thread

Cadillac STS

Now im not doubting that it wasnt a mach1 becasue the car was brand new and had all f the badging and other mach 1 treatments...who would do that to a new mustang anyway? thats why i beleiev it was a Mach and not a GT

Yeah, it was probably a real Mach. I've never seen them with the louvers. But sure, I bet someone would put decals on there if they wanted to try to fool someone. Around here, the most common Mustang is a plain-jane V-6 "wimpstang" with dual exhausts. Sounds like a lawn mower and doesn't fool anyone -- especially because they usually leave the stock V-6 wheels on there! :rolleyes:

By the way, "BYB" doesn't mean "Burst Your Bubble". ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If the car weren't a Mach, but just a regular 5 speed GT, it still would've been faster than you.... ;) I've got first hand experience.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

If the car weren't a Mach, but just a regular 5 speed GT, it still would've been faster than you.... ;)  I've got first hand experience.

I KINDA tend to agree, but a standard GT would be a much closer race. A lady at work here has one, a '99, and she's got a K&N filter and Bassani X pipe on it. She used to drag race with her husband in the 70s and 80s. She knows her cars. :) She says the standard GTs are good for 15 or maybe a little less in the quarter mile. With some mods, mid-14s easily. A stock mid '90s STS sits right at 14.8/14.9 average in the quarter mile.

Caddy made it easy on us -- FWD and automatic transmissions. The guy in the 'Stang would have to know how to drive it. On the street, I think that if you get the hole shot and ever look back, a GT probably isn't going to catch up. At the track, when you're both heads up and have the finish line on your mind...I dunno -- it'd certainly be worth it to try! I think you've got the better wind on the long haul, especially if you have the 3.71 gears. Even the SLSes average around 15-flat for the quarter mile, so it should be a close race in either case.

2000GT, a guy at work humored me and we raced em from a rolling stop. I jumped him at the start by a good car length, he spun his tires, and as soon at he caught traction, he made up the difference and was ahead by a full car length and pulling away strong, before we even made it through my second gear.

I quit after I saw the superiority. If my car was losing ground in second gear, I'd bet a paycheck that it would lose a lot more in third gear vs. a 5 speed GT.

Just my account...

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

2000GT, a guy at work humored me and we raced em from a rolling stop. I jumped him at the start by a good car length, he spun his tires, and as soon at he caught traction, he made up the difference and was ahead by a full car length and pulling away strong, before we even made it through my second gear.

I quit after I saw the superiority. If my car was losing ground in second gear, I'd bet a paycheck that it would lose a lot more in third gear vs. a 5 speed GT.

Just my account...

If you were driving an STS and get the hole shot as metioned above, you might find those Mustang GT's (yes, 5-speeds) a bit behind form the get go, through third well past 100 mph. Been there, done it...a few times now.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I've beat my friend of numerous occasions in his 99' GT Stang. It's quite an equal race considering I have more hp straight to the ground, but sometimes he gets by me and wins.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Flyer, have you ever run your car at the track, or with a Gtech, to get a baseline number for your SLS?

Jadcock,

Plans to do that in the near future. The first numbers will be at an 1/8 mile track though, as there is one about 30min away. A longer drive is necessary for the 1/4 miler.

My butt dyno suggests about a 15 second quarter, but I'll have new mufflers and filter before I do the track runs.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

user posted image

My butt dyno suggests about a 15 second quarter, but I'll have new mufflers and filter before I do the track runs.

That's about average for an SLS, which is why I'm surprised at that account you gave about that Mustang GT. It shouldn't walk away from you like that. STOCK, they're not really that much faster (maybe high 14s). Maybe he had his loaded up with some mods. 2nd gear on the SLS will run you deep into the 90 mph range. He'll probably have had to shift into 4th by then...at least into 3rd. :)

Archived