CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 STS Airbox

speedyman_2

Hey Guy's,

I tried a few mods with the air box. I took it out completely and put in a cone setup. Then i tried a FRAM AIR HOG drop in replacement filter in the stock air box. Yesterday i put back in the stock AC DELCO filter for a couple of reasons

1) i did not feel a difference in performanc. These cars have all the power that they are going to give.

2) gas milage went down

3) My car was running a little rough with the cone and AIR HOG

The car is fast as hell i'll stick with the AC DELCO it only cost $6.00 at ARCH AUTO or AUTO ZONE. ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK guys. Results are in. Just got back from the races. I made 8 Passes tonight.

Here's an over view of before and after timeslips. I showed RT's not that I thought these would be affected by this intake mod though.

Before:

Best RT: .503

Best 60ft: 2.370

Best MPH: 74.50

Best ET: 9.808

After:

Best RT: .501

Best 60ft: 2.314

Best MPH: 76.27

Best ET: 9.613

Now. While some of you might think there might be other variables that changed, I would doubt it. temperatures were pretty close to the same. I raced all throughout the night like I always do. With all the runs spread out throughout the night. With all the races I've done, and the mods I previously had. Like, the Magnaflow's, or the Nitrous. I never once saw anything below a 9.7 This was on the old N* I had. These time's I've posted do no include the 9.7 run, which was with the Magnaflows. And I only got into the 9.7's once with those. Nitrous never saw anything below 9.8

Bone stock with the new northstat put me at 9.808 at best. This was with fresh oil change. Tonight I'm actually on 4,000 mile oil. I'm running synthetic and don't worry I've topped off with the normal quart between changes. Judging by the time comparisons, I would say that removing this part helped on the top end. 60ft times we're pretty close to the same. But the ET's are what I really noticed a difference in. As soon as I passed the finish line I knew, "this was a really quick run." All I can say is, "Numbers don't lie." Other than that it was a fun night and pretty cool that I ran such good times. I almost won the trophy for best RT, but right at the end someone came up with .500, a perfect light. Anyhow, I did manage to beat a few cars I thought I wouldn't. Like a really nice looking Chevelle with a 350. And a few imports. More on this tomorrow. I'm ready for bed now :)

IPB Image

I guess congratulations? I think this is the reason the dyno is used. To cut down on the variables.....and there are soooo many in your story. Temp, wind direction, humidity, fuel, plug conditions, time (6:00 vs 9:00), reaction time, driving style, it goes on and on. Unless you're a machine and can be counted on to perform EXACTLY the same run after run and all the external variables can be controlled then I fail to see the "numbers don't lie" logic. I know plenty of people that do the 1/4 mile with the same setup week after week and you know what? They get different results week after week....go figure. But if you like it (which is apparent) and it works for you then that's all that really matters. I've modified a few cars in the past and I can't honestly say that the cars went any faster but I drove them like they did. Ever notice that? Why just look at all these ricer wannabes. Most of the ricers most likely go slower after all the silly mods they burden their cars with. But they sure don't drive them like they are. When I was a kid we used to stick baseball trading cards in our bicycle spokes. All of a sudden we thought we were Evil Kenivel. ;)

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

For reference, I found some conversion calculators here: http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

These are ballpark, not exact.

Your 1/4 Mile ET is 15.01 seconds computed from your vehicle 1/8th ET of 9.613 seconds.

Your 1/4 Mile MPH is 94.57 MPH computed from your vehicle 1/8th MPH of 76.27 MPH.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Wow, cool results...

Of course the really interesting number is not the one you highlighted (elapsed time) but the one right above it... MPH... Everyone who has run the 1/4 or the 1/8th mile knows that MPH is directly related to HP! As others have noted there are lots of variables here but most could be argued away...

Can you share with us were your MPH numbers consistently faster with the modified air box versus the stock one...

If they were, by how much... With these numbers and the weight of your car it is fairly straight forward to calculate the gain in rear wheel HP.

PS...

Drivers love ET... after all this is how you win...

On the other hand Pit crews love MPH

(because it eliminates most of the driving variables :lol: )

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

By the way based on your single pair of numbers it takes

303 HP to push a 4001lb car to 74.5MPH in the 1/8th... BUT it takes

325 HP to push a 4001lb car to 76.27

22HP ??? NICE!

caddy.jpg

Greg

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the web site calculator. Based on my #'s, it looks like this:

Best to date:

60ft: 2.178

1/8 et: 9.177

1/8 MPH 79.35

1/4 et: 14.154

1/4 MPH 98.14

Translates to the following:

0-60= 5.25sec

Assuming 4000lbs+160(me)

HP= 356

I know this isn't exact but these are very close to what I have estimated given my mods so far.

Thanks

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

By the way based on your single pair of numbers it takes

303 HP to push a 4001lb car to 74.5MPH in the 1/8th... BUT it takes

325 HP to push a 4001lb car to 76.27

22HP ??? NICE!

Greg, you lost me, what formula do you use to determine this? Very interesting, Mike

Its a from a little software package I download a few years back

You can get a copy here:

Cool Engine Calculator

Very cool free tool... Car Craft had a write up about this and the "not free" products from this software company about 3 year ago and found their estimates to be amazingly accurate... That article also included most of the formulas as well as a very good explanation as to why "trap speed" AKA MPH was a better estimate of HP than ET was... I'll have to dig through my archives to see if I can find the copy.

From memory the theory was that MPH was mostly drag limited especially on cars running 11 second 1/4s or slower. ET could radically change based on transmissions shifts, traction, driver reaction, launch RPM, etc. They did several passes with an old Firebird to prove their point and they could get the ET to vary by almost 1 full second, by modifying launch RPM, tire pressure, shock rates, etc. but the MPH was almost exactly the same, as they were not touching the motor...

Darn I have to try an find that magazine....

caddy.jpg

Greg

Here's the last one. This includes an outside view first. Then another outside view when I ran bracket. Lost but I got a .501 light ;) You can here the announcer talk about it in the video. And, my friend say, "get out of it". He thought I was gonna break out. And finally the last in car run I made. Killed the Civic. Only ran a 9.9 that time.

Click here to watch Caddy-Eighthmile

IPB Image

Here's the last one. This includes an outside view first. Then another outside view when I ran bracket. Lost but I got a .501 light ;) You can here the announcer talk about it in the video. And, my friend say, "get out of it". He thought I was gonna break out. And finally the last in car run I made. Killed the Civic. Only ran a 9.9 that time.

Great video. Did your car slow down with a passenger on board? :blink:

Here's the last one.  This includes an outside view first.  Then another outside view when I ran bracket.  Lost but I got a .501 light ;) You can here the announcer talk about it in the video. And, my friend say, "get out of it". He thought I was gonna break out.  And finally the last in car run I made.  Killed the Civic.  Only ran a 9.9 that time.

Great video. Did your car slow down with a passenger on board? :blink:

Yes. Consistent 9.8's versus the 9.6 I had ran right before he got in. 2 tenths. Maybe a few thousanths less. Still hooked up nicely. My friend said he noticed it pulled way better on the track than it did on the street. I made some really good runs.

IPB Image

Archived