CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Off Topic but I do not do it to often. Sorry..

Matt

I hope no one gets mad. Has any one from NJ taken a mortorcycle permit test lately?? I'v been rideing since I was 12. I ride Motocross, woods, snow, road corse, so I can handle a machine. I have great fear of the road but want to do it any way. Hmmm. I know what I'm going to buy but want to keep any respect you guys may have for me so I'm not saying what I'm buying. I think I'm smart enough to keep out of harms way. ( harm- like all the other cars and trucks on the road ) My good friend whom I have raced with all these years is buying a machine to. We will try to help each other to stay alive. I need info on the permit test questions. I hear it is very very hard on the Alcohol questions. I have no probem with alcohol, I do not drink at all. I have gone over both books from the DMV on the test and they do not go over much at all on Alcohol. I was wondering from some one who took the test just what they asked on there test for the permit. I know there are many tests, so it's not like there is only one set of questions but I would just like someones perspective on it. Thanks guys...

I hope no one gets mad. Has any one from NJ taken a mortorcycle permit test lately?? I'v been rideing since I was 12. I ride Motocross, woods, snow, road corse, so I can handle a machine. I have great fear of the road but want to do it any way. Hmmm. I know what I'm going to buy but want to keep any respect you guys may have for me so I'm not saying what I'm buying. I think I'm smart enough to keep out of harms way. ( harm- like all the other cars and trucks on the road ) My good friend whom I have raced with all these years is buying a machine to. We will try to help each other to stay alive. I need info on the permit test questions. I hear it is very very hard on the Alcohol questions. I have no probem with alcohol, I do not drink at all. I have gone over both books from the DMV on the test and they do not go over much at all on Alcohol. I was wondering from some one who took the test just what they asked on there test for the permit. I know there are many tests, so it's not like there is only one set of questions but I would just like someones perspective on it. Thanks guys...

At the New Jersey DMV website, they have the actual study manuals in PDF format. Whatever is in the books will be covered on the written exam. There are no trick questions.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Hey thanks for that info. I went to the DMV and asked for the study books for the test and there is not to much on it in the books. All I'v heard about is how they will twist different questions around to try and trick you. Are you talking from experience or from hear say. Did you have many questions related to Alcohol?

Hey thanks for that info. I went to the DMV and asked for the study books for the test and there is not to much on it in the books. All I'v heard about is how they will twist different questions around to try and trick you. Are you talking from experience or from hear say. Did you have many questions related to Alcohol?

When I took the written test in New Jersey, it was pretty straight forward. Just remember how much hard liqour, wine and beer equal each other. I think the formula is something to the effect of:

1 1/2 ounces of 86 proof liqour = 12 ounces of beer = 5 ounces of wine. All three contain the same amount of alcohol.

read here: http://www.nj.gov/mvc/driver_manual/Chapter_7.pdf

and here: http://www.nj.gov/mvc/driver_manual/dm_pdf_links.html

and you may as well read here too: http://www.nj.gov/mvc/motorcycle/mcm996.pdf

the PDF links require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.

Just read it and concentrate on your reading and it will stick to the old grey noodle.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Well thank you very very much. I was just talking to my friend and we were both searching the DMV site for motorcycle test with no luck. We found the Car test and took it for the heck of it, I passed with only two incorrect. I looked over the links you sent and they are everything that I have in the two books. What they gave me at the DMV is exactly what is on the links you sent. I just can not find any practice tests for motorcycle on the DMV. I will keep looking...

1 1/2 ounces of 86 proof liqour = 12 ounces of beer = 5 ounces of wine. All three contain the same amount of alcohol.

Actually, I think the 'expanded' formula is,

1 1/2 ounces of 86 proof liqour = 12 ounces of beer = 5 ounces of wine = 1/4 joint = 1/8 blotter acid = 1/10 peyote 'button'

Sorry, ..my Labor Day weekend started today....

Seriously. read the state-provided book,...if you can't comprehend it,..you probably should not be traversing on two wheels at speeds in excess of 50 mph....

Took The Test Today and Passed!! I have a friend that rides and he said to use test questions and answers . com approved by the DMV. There you can register for a 19.97 fee and take as many pratice tests and final tests as you like. There are detailed explanations for everything that teach the rights and wrongs. I spent Saturday to Monday studying and took the test this AM. There were only 30 questions on the test at the DMV but I was prepaired for 50 and I have to say if you only use the materials provided by the DMV then passing involves a bit of luck. Luck never lasts and on a motorcycle that's BAD. Those DMV manuals no way covered the same amount of details as the web site did. This explaines all the crazy motorcycle drivers I see on the road, they must have been the lucky ones that are soon to be unlucky. I started rideing at 12 and then raced and have been riding all my life and still have a RM125 in the garage but the web site taught me a ton about being on the road, the corse was great.They taught law, rideing procedures,tips, it was good. My next step is to register with the motorcycle school given by the local college, it's 3 days of instruction and pratice on there road corse and if you pass you get paper work to go back to the DMV and get your licence. It is a few hundred bucks but they provide motorcycles ( not scooters ) gear and instructors . I'm looking forward to that . "If your going to do something try and do it right the first time".

Congratulations!! Hope you enjoy many years of safe riding.

Took The Test Today and Passed!!

Hey, congratulations Matt! B) I hope you enjoy the riding. Be safe out there, and watch out for the "other guy" cause they certainly wont be seeing you a lot...

My son just got his cycle temp permit too, and is using his vintage 1970 Yamaha 125 enduro for getting around the campus at college.

Just too ironic, on the alchohol issue... Tonight I ran into town to go to the local Walgreens, as I get out of my car this dude on a hopped up custom bike (S&S motor that sounded like a B-1 bomber when he started it) starts backing out of his parking spot with the chick on the back. She leans to one side and down they go! :o

She yells out something like "What the hell are you doing!" like it was his fault. In the mean time he is struggling to get his 500+lb. bike off his leg. I ran over there and lifted it off him and he just kept saying "Hey, thanks buddy!", while his girlfriend was mumbling stuff like "I musta leaned to far". I could tell they had definitely had a few coctails though, and it made me mad thinking about someone jepardizing their life and others by drinking and riding like that. I was tempted to call it in, but they were off in a flash of course wanting to avoid any scene... :unsure:

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

That is just to wild. One of the things talked about was " when parking and putting your foot down to watch out for the oil slick left by other veichles so you do not slip and fall with bike on top of you". It's to bad they seemed buzzed. I can't even think about booze and rideing. You see that will never be an issue for me, I can not consume any type of alcoholl. It is so true guys, you must put it in your mind that no one ever sees you, you are invisible. The bike rider has to be 1000% defensive all the time. There are a few guys ware I work that ride. They have used the excuse about being loud enough to be heard to put on super loud exhaust systems, that's BS. You can not think that you are so loud that people will yield to you, your only gona get in a bad sitituation. I really hope that my years of motocross has taught me a bit about watching the other guy. I know I have plenty of fear of being out there with other cars and trucks and I assure you I will pull off if I can not get away from even one truck. That stuff scres the _ _ _ _ out of me. A few years after I quit racing I still went out and bought a new factory race bike, a Kawasaki KX-250-A5. It was nice let me tell ya. The other guys I rode with and I would get together at night with our bikes at different friends garrages and it was cool to just have such a machine and keep up on its condiion. I want to do the same with what I want now, of cource I want to ride it around but hanging out with it ware my buddys are is just as fun for me to. At this time I say I am not looking forward to any long trips, and I really do not want to do that. The short rides will be good enough for a long time. In the books it said the short rides are when most accidents happened too. It's funny how the prices of out toys change as we get older to. I spent $2200.00 bucks on that factory bike back then, now what I want costs $9000.00 I found out there is even another 300.00 corse after the one I will take to get my full license that is bike specific, I want that school to. Do it all the way right ?? Thanks for the good wishes.

ummmm, I know when I'm driving it is alot easier to know if a bike is near me if I can hear it. Especially now with the windows up and AC on full blast and radio on. I would feel much safer on a loud bike than on one that noone can hear. This is just my opinion but in personal experience wouldn't you rather have someone that is driving say "holy sh*T wtf is that?" than "oh sh*T, i just hit a biker" . Just my 2 cents...good luck.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Matt,

Congrats,.....you really got to be careful out there...., watch the other guy!!!!

I've owned three bikes, my last was a 1991 Honda CBR 1000F, had to sell when we had our first child.

I started out riding dirt bikes as well, which was great training. You 'naturally' learn to steer into the direction your rear bike tire is sliding...., helps in wet weather..., also the effects of 'gyroscopic progression' become second nature, as it relates to steering on two wheels....

Be safe!!!!

Hey Wow, I bet the CBR really cooked. I looked at the 1000 Kawasaki but it's a bit to much for me to handle. I will stick with the 600 or the 633 , the 600 is track leagle but I have no intention to go to the track but I like that it's full lime green. The 633 is split green and black and I have allways liked the Kawasaki Lime green so I may go for the 600. It's to bad you had to sell the CBR but I do understand the reason for it. You never know what the future holds, maybe something else will come along some day.---- I hear ya about being able to hear a loud bike. I think the idea though is to not put your self in a bad position on the hi way. You have to allways have an escape route so you can get away or out of the way of a veichle that makes a move on you. Thats ware not getting boxed in on the hi way comes in, you must leave a space so you have someware to go to get out of danger. Everything I found out so far says that most accidents happen at intersections, weather it's a 4 way stop or traffic light controlled, so with the bike coming from an opposite direction and the muffler pointing the other way the car may not hear it to much any way. Then other accidents happen from bikers taking turns to wide and hitting side line obsticals. Then there a a lot that come from drinking and driving, it's all pretty nasty really. Every now and then I keep wondering what the heck am I doing?? But I really want to try this and I believe I can do it and not let the other guy get me. I will have to remember ( SIPDE ) scan,interpet,predict,decide,execute. I'v allways been one to look ahead at what every one else is doing and deciding the best spot and lane to be in at all times. I believe that my tractor trailer heavy equipment hauling days have a lot to do with that. I allways had to be super aware of all the little cars that would come out in front of me from no ware when I was driving for a living. I hope this will be fun, I pray it will be safe!!!

Oh I'm verry sorry to hear that Mike. That is very sad and it happens all to often. My boss lost a friend a year ago and my X Boss lost a friend about 6 months back. One was drinking and the other not. I know the details but why talk about it. You see I do not want to go on the TPK, or Rt 17 or 80 or major hi ways like that. It just looks to crazy and un safe. You can be sure I will be carefull. Do not let the picture of the machine I want fool you. I love it because of the mechanics and technology involved, it's a masterfull piece of machinery. I'm not into it for it's speed or power. I want to stay alive to cruze my Seville. Thanks Mike. Later...

loud pipes saves lives, it is true. I run loud pipes on my Harley and have never had someone try to move into my lane on the freeway, like I experienced so many times before with stock exhaust. AND SPEED KILLS, bikes are nimbler than cars and accelerate and stop quicker, but you have no protection. So unlike a car you cannot go off the side of the road, thru a ditch. So pay attention and always leave yourself an out. Ride safe, keep the shiney side up

Hey Guy How ya doing. Well I admit I have to listen to the experience of others. I hear what you are saying about loud exhaust and I understand. I know it is pretty easy to get great volume from the exhaust on those machines but on what I want to buy it is a little different I think. I made a call to a buddy of mine about this and he said he just put a carbon fiber racing type of under the seat exhaust on his ZX-6RR. That is ware the mufflers are on these bikes. He said it is a lot louder then stock, which is what I will get with mine. He said it will never equal the Harleys the other guys have but it's better then nothing. Thanks for the word on this, I'm going to go with your experience. I know about keeping an escape to. It's to bad you cant just go UP and away because some of the things I see are really scarey and thats the only way to really escape. Take care...

Archived