CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tie Rods

Caddyman

I thin I have play in my tie rods, sttering is not always dead stright on stright road, alignmet done 2 months ago after doing the struts.

My question is should I repalce both the tinner AND outer tie rods or just the outer?

the car is a 94 sls with 100k,m i twouldn't hurt to change it.

thanks

did this job a couple weeks ago, you need to have the special tool for inners but while you are there it can't hurt.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Another subject on which I am clueless on, but the concensus from what I can tell is, it depends.

On the one hand, if only the outer tie rod end is worn, then replace those and realign and you're good. But in some cases, you can only get the outer tie rod end and the inner tie rod end as part of a tie rod assembly anyway from GM, so replacing the assembly is the way to go. Some repair shops seem to recommend this, although if it is to sell parts or eliminate return complaints?

For front end "refresh kits" for older cars, they include both inner and outer tie rod ends, which suggests that as you might think, replacing both is the best way to be sure neither one is worn and you get the result you want from the repair.

So probably a trade between the expense of the tie rod ends ($80 or so?) and the trouble of getting back under the car another day if replacement of the outer tie rod ends is not a 100% cure?

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

did this job a couple weeks ago, you need to have the special tool for inners but while you are there it can't hurt.

Is the tool for the inner tie rod large enough, to slip over the outer tie rod jam nut? The jam nuts on both sides of the car, seem fused to the tie rod, making it impossible to remove. When I had a front end alignment done, the outer tie rod, wasn't even contacting the jam nut anymore. Thanks

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Archived