CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New plugs and wires

brmurph

Going to install some new AC Delco plugs and wires this weekend, no real problems just want to get them replaced (hope for increase in gas mileage :-). I just spent an hour going over the archives and still have a couple of questions.

What is the best tool for removing the plugs, impact wrench or just a rachet/breakover bar (Don't want to strip any threads)? Should I use any dielectric greese on the tips of the plugs? And last but not least what about anti-sieze on the spark plug threads?

Thanks in advance.

I got a can of compressed air, the kind you clean computers with, blew into the plug holes prior to removing the plugs so no debris remained. Then a socket & ratchet removed the plugs. Checked gap on new plugs and placed a foot long piece of 3/8 tube on the end of the plug to hold it while threading it back into the engine. I tightened by feel although, some/most would say you should use a torque wrench. Placed a gob of dielectric grease in the spark plug wire boot and attached it to the plug. NO antisize on the plug is resomended.

Do the job only on a COLD engine.

Whoa..... There has been a change that I recently learned myself.... The AC DELCO wires are impregnated with a substance to stop the boot from sticking and adding dilectic<spelling? GREASE is not necessary and MAY or WILL cause carbon tracking.... This is one of those things that you must relearn that can catch you by surprise! See the following from the manual, Mike

post-3-1124765296_thumb.jpg

Going to install some new AC Delco plugs and wires this weekend, no real problems just want to get them replaced (hope for increase in gas mileage :-). I just spent an hour going over the archives and still have a couple of questions.

What is the best tool for removing the plugs, impact wrench or just a rachet/breakover bar (Don't want to strip any threads)? Should I use any dielectric greese on the tips of the plugs? And last but not least what about anti-sieze on the spark plug threads?

Thanks in advance.

I replaced the plugs on my '96 Seville last year and loosened the old plugs with an impact wrench. This may sound butcherous to some but if there is a stubborn plug, the impact will break it loose without damaging the threads. Don't use dielectric grease as the Delco wires are impregnated with the proper lube.

Don't use anti-sieze as you will over thghten the plugs when torquing them down. Also anti-sieze is conductive and can ruin a plug if you accidentally get it on the plug electrode.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

OPPS...

I used Belden wires I got from NAPA and I THINK some grease came w/them.

I'll have to check out the boots & see what they look like. Its been a year since they were changed.

Oh ya, what is "carbon tracking"?

OPPS...

I used Belden wires I got from NAPA and I THINK some grease came w/them.

I'll have to check out the boots & see what they look like.  Its been a year since they were changed.

Oh ya, what is "carbon tracking"?

Bill its possible that your Belden wires are not impregnated with the grease and its OK for you to use it. The manual has that statement I posted above.

Carbon tracking originally referred to carbon lines inside the distributor cap that would run from post to post or post to the center post and the spark would follow it affectively causing a shorted circuit in the cap and a mis-fire. I only experienced this once or twice in my life. A tricky misfire to diagnose I might add when you do get it.

The grease I imagine does the same thing in that it will allow the spark to travel to ground, maybe the heat of the northstar where the plug is buried is too much for the grease and it leaches downward allowing the high voltage to travel to ground... Mike

Thanks for all the info

Scotty, That must be one heck of a manual you have. I also have the 3 factory manuals but mine don't compare to the type stuff you seem to be able to find and scan for the rest of us (thanks BTW). I guess I will have to buy the 96 model manuals for Northstar information.

You are welcome. I have a folder on my hard drive with hundreds of scans of pages from the 91 and 96 manuals.. and it keeps growing. When I see a topic that I have a scan for I just post a photo.

Archived