CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Chrome Rims leak air

Certainly looks like the engineer messed up to me :blink::lol: NOT!

No wonder they are leaking :blink: I am surprised they hold air long enough to get home from the tire shop :lol: Nice job on them, you didn't have anything to loose :lol:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice job. I'd still look for a deal on the 96 STS wheels; they look great, and are easy to keep clean.

Come November, I'll be putting my 97 STS rims and snows onto my 99 STS .... I'll have to post a pic, as I've never seen the newer style STS with the 97 rims.

Gotta save those gorgeous 99 chrome rims from the salt :D

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Hey guys~

Sorry it took me so long to check in on this post but other real-life matters have kept my online presence to a minimum.

Good job on the clean-up, Sal. They came out nice. But everyone out there needs to chill-out on the engineer-bashing. Of course engineers are aware of things like corrosion on wheels. The problem isn't them - it's the accountants who reign in costs. You could chrome a wheel in stages - where only one part is truly chrome and the rest isn't. Chrome-plating is actually a 3 to 5 stage process because chrome doesn't bond directly to aluminum, so copper and nickel are used (with other metals) along the way. And you could delete a stage or two in an area but it's much cheaper to just chrome a whole wheel.

Anyway - not going to repeat what has already been discussed - just dropping by is-all.

cheers,

~Doc

• 3 weeks later...

Regards Chromed alloy rims on your 93' STS

Had the same problem........ended up having tires dismounted......took a grinder with a "light" wire wheel and cleaned off all of the flaking chome and oxidation on inside of rims.........then cleaned well with acetone to remove any residue.........painted inside of rims with a ceramic based primer (spray can, any parts store)........replaced valve stems......had new tires installed (NITTO NT460 235 60R 16).........haven't had any tire pressure leaks in 4 years.

Fred in AZ

93' STS Northstar, Polo Green, 138K miles, original owner

• 1 year later...

Archived