CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

She's Almost Dead...

MIke D

So I went out to my car the other day to go to work. Dead battery. pop the trunk to get out the cables and feel heat pouring out. This is funny cause I park in the garage.. I ignore it, jump the car and put the cables back in the trunk. Go to close the trunk lid and SLAM it bounces back open... I am like crap must be something in the way.... Nope, slam back open again... I notice the motor has the latch all the way down. I go to wiggle the switch and nothing happens..... then it happens. I feel the motor and it is burning hot..... Now I know why the battery is dead.

After all of this I pull everything apart and could not pry up the latch enough to let is catch. SO I slamed the trunk lid so hard it set off the alarms on the cars on either side of me. It's closed now..... What do I do next. anyone ever change this motor out??? Someone mentioned how you can "crank" it up but I could find anything like this on mine... (93sts) Please help.. with all her other problems right now it may be the end of her (206,000 miles).

Thanks in advance, Mike D

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Mike,

Don't give up on her just because of a defective trunk lid pull down motor. You can get one from a junk yard ($30.00 to $50.00 around here). It is super easy to replace. Just a panel, wire connector and three bolts.

Just be glad that it didn't cause a fire in your garage!

Britt

Britt

A word of caution:

After you replace the pull-down motor, be careful about slamming the trunk lid closed. The pull-down motor is attached with a plastic insulating mount. Slamming the lid can break the mount.

Navion is correct on the price and proceedure.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Thanks guys... believe me I would not let her go for just one thing going wrong.. but between the front bushings and mounting plates being bad, the water pump that is leaking, the rear brakes that seems to not work (tried everything in the book), the sunroof that doesn't close properly, the drivers window that is stuck up, the A/c (which has been replaced twice) wont keep up with texas summers, the leaking injectors that makes it run rough and get 15mpg, the balding tires, the hood that is pealing it's paint off, the drivers side door that wont unlock by key or electric lock, the rear blower motor that does not work, a tranny that is starting to slip....

ok now I am even more depressed. plus I just learned that a reastaurant has charged my credit card an extra $1000 for dinner and my CC company are being idiots about it... I get to fix this on an income of $24k. The life of a glamorous airline pilot...

Anyways thanks guys... I am going to try and find a place around here to get the motor and 2 new switches in the trunk... just as soon as I get back from my next trip...

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

I know canadian95sts MATT has an extra one.

He baught it for his, and had a game of chicken with a deer the next day, so he never put it in.

He will probably let it go for cheap.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Archived