CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 Deville

Scotty

I just finished my rear springs, not bad but not really easy either. A dangerous job if you as me, if you have never done springs before to know that, don't undertake this job. Having the correct tools, jacks, jack stands is important. Its important to get an alignment which I will do, but I marked the old position. I also replaced the stabilizer bar bushings while I was there, next week struts... Mike

Here is a photo of the new spring, by the way, while it looks like the jack is on the ground (an assinine thing to do!) its on my concrete driveway :blink:

96_Rear_Suspension_001.jpg

post-3-1122322648_thumb.jpg

did u already do the fronts any problems with boston did u have a hard time with the shock main bolt (you need a neighbor with really big arms) :lol:

I just took it for a ride, FIRST I will say that my REAR is up about 3 inches, where before I could NOT see the top of my wheel, I now see some of the whitewall.. WOW,

I am SO glad I replaced my springs, YEA BABY!

The ride is MUCH tighter! No more SLOP..... BOAT feeling.... NEXT the struts, before we go upstate next week...

I did not do the front yet, probaby in two weeks, going upstate next week...

How many miles do you have on the cherry pink jeep in the second pic? Are those all season tires? :P

Not much probably about 25 times around the house! Its up for sale, my daughter outgrew it.... :lol:

did u already do the fronts any problems with boston did u have a hard time with the shock main bolt (you need a neighbor with really big arms) :lol:

I have been going to GOLDS GYM like a madman twice a day, thinking about those bolts..... Benched 250 the other day, I am ready for those bolts (along with my 18 inch breaker bar and a pipe if I need it) my neighbor is a wimp! :lol:

i could be wrong but if u took the shock out first, the spring comes out a lot easier

Na, its not necessary to take the shock out, just the bottom bolt, the lower control arm just drops from the inside... The hard part was getting the new spring back in and aligning the lower control arm to get the bolts back it.... Of course doing the second one was a lot easier than the first one... The car rides SO much better and I didnt even do the struts yet...

good for u i just remember when i replaced the rear on mine the spring looked like it was readyto come out

het scotty what do u think of a 98 cts i know its a 6cyl but i think it would make a good car for my daughter

I dont understand....springs rarely 'wear' out. Whats up?

What I have come to understand is that, when the struts go bad they do damage to the springs by allowing them more movement and more travel. My rear was at least 3 to 4 inches lower with the old springs and very cushy...

Archived