CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

rattling/knocking noise

QbanCgar

My 93 Seville had very loud knock in the front suspension and as the board mentions here I suspected my front Sway/Stabalizer bar to be the cause. I removed the left and right drop links from the car (this disconnects the sway bar completely from the suspension) I then took for a drive and now I have NO MORE knock! turns out the drop links are worn, about 1/16th" play in them, does not sound like much but what a KNOCK when going over bumps. I will now replace the 2 drop links and the 2 sway bar to body bushings as well.

One other thing if you are trying to diagnose the sway bar as the source of noise/knock: I noticed that it only knocked when driving straight and did not really knock when cornering over bumps. This now makes perfect sence since when cornering the bar has a termendous amout of load on it and this picks up any loose component slack which stops the noise. When driving straight the sway bar and components (drop links) are just hanging lose from the struts and when you hit a bump the lose components will knock. I suggest this as the first approach to diagnose this kind of knock/noise.

You can then proceed by removing the drop links if you wish but this turned out to be much more difficult than I first thought because the nuts on the links where very rustty! This means you will most likely damage the drop links when removing them (Like I did) but it turned out I needed new ones anyway.

So, if you suspect knocking from your sway bar start by doing the cornering test if the knocking stops while cornering, visually and hand inspect for lose drop links if you notice any play in the ball joints of links replace them. Once you have them out take the car for a spin without the links to insure this is your problem. If however you look at the links and they seem OK try just replacing the Sway Bar to Body bushings since these are only about $20.00 a pair. The drop links are about $40.00 each.

Good luck.

Finshed replacing the sway bar end links as well as the sway bar body bushings. Problem Solved! I have a very quite Seville once again, thanks for all the help from this board. The repair parts cost about $70.00 total, well worth it.

Archived