CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strange Rattling Noise from Under the Car.

Marika

I've been hearing a noise that a combination of rattling and sounds like a hole in the exhaust system. It also occasionally comes and goes but mostly it comes and stays.

The mechanic said the "packing" inside the catalytic converter apparently broke apart or came loose. He says I need a new converter.

Cadillac wants $550 for a new converter, the mechanic says he can get me an after market converter for $318, installed.

Can I get by with the aftermarket unit? I really can't afford the $550. Not that I can afford the $318 either but I realize it's part of the pollution control system so it has to be replaced. No check engine light has turned on yet.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I had a local muffler shop put an aftermarket 'high flow' cat. on for about $ 130, installed. The car ran better as far as I could tell with the high flow, no engine lights, and passed the Texas 'sniff' test.

Don't delay it, I've heard stories of them plugging up...

I had to replace mine when I first baught it, and it was only $95.00 installed. Thats Canadian to boot! So yeah I think $318.00 is ridiculous!!!

Big Jay <_<<_<<_<

Life is too short to grow up!

I had to replace mine when I first baught it, and it was only $95.00 installed. Thats Canadian to boot! So yeah I think $318.00 is ridiculous!!!

Big Jay <_>

The $318 includes the converter and the labor and whatever other charges the State requires.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's the breakdown:

1 hour of labor: $65.00

Cat. Converter: $235.00

Sales Tax: $18.00

Total abuse: $318.00 <_>

The Cat. Coverter is made in USA.

I've also noticed that the car can accelerate a LOT faster now with the new converter.

Terrific, the cat went on my 91 also you may notice better emissions results at inspecion also..... the cat was probably restricting the exhaust a little... that is why she feels peppier..

That was a hard job to do, I had the rear of the cat welded, Mike (calico or black cat? :lol: )

Terrific, the cat went on my 91 also you may notice better emissions results at inspecion also..... the cat was probably restricting the exhaust a little... that is why she feels peppier..

That was a hard job to do, I had the rear of the cat welded, Mike (calico or black cat? :lol: )

Stainless Steel cat.... :lol:

Archived