CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

EXPLOSION???

Dasher

I've been wondering about this for years ever since they first put a trunk release button in the glove box 40 plus years ago and even more so since they came out with the remote openers. I have no pick-up and so my STS sometimes has to serve as my truck when I go to the corner gas station for gasoline for the lawnmower.

I know that anything is possible :unsure: ; but what is the likelihood :o that opening the trunk with the remote could cause an explosion if gasoline fumes were present.

I always use the key when I'm bringing home gasoline and I always seal the gas container as well as possible but I'm still wondering.

I've been wondering about this for years ever since they first put a trunk release button in the glove box 40 plus years ago and even more so since they came out with the remote openers. I have no pick-up and so my STS sometimes has to serve as my truck when I go to the corner gas station for gasoline for the lawnmower.

I know that anything is possible :unsure: ; but what is the likelihood :o that opening the trunk with the remote could cause an explosion if gasoline fumes were present.

I always use the key when I'm bringing home gasoline and I always seal the gas container as well as possible but I'm still wondering.

Not going to happen. The EM signals from the remote cannot be an ignition source, regardless of the air/fume ratio.

What could cause a 'themal event' is a high ratio of fumes, ignited by an electrical discharge. It would take a strong arc, cuased by a short and for that you need a higher voltage source than 12vdc. A long simmering grounded 12v hot lead could be a source as well as an electrostatic discharge, (static arc) buth both are way out there in the probabilty arena..

Keep the container nice and tight, anchored, the trip short and look out for tailgaiters.. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

And make sure you have the plastic container on the ground (grounded) not in the trunk when you fill it. Not too likely in this scenario but I have heard of a fuel being poured into a container via a plastic funnel. There was enough friction from the fuel flowing over the plastic to create a static discharge and cause a "thermal event".

Dasher,

I'm not as sure as the others...about no problems. <_<

The static spark issues are bad enough just moving it around. If any gasoline was spilled in the the trunk - then look out! :blink: It could build to just perfect fuel/air ratio. :unsure:

I don't think any vehicle's wiring or electronic equipment is "intrinsically safe", particularly in the trunk area.

Granted, the remote's emf signal won't do it, but the contacts from the trunk solenoid release coil just might.

The one that might really cause an issue is a popped tail light light bulb and then there are the various amps etc in the general area. Just a lot of stuff in there.

As much as I can handle significant risk, this is one that I might back away from. For a "litmus test", on this - I would never let my daughter try this. Now the boys, they could always use a wake up call (and if they survive - it builds character). :P

At the very least, I would leave the trunk open a ways with a bungee and of course - secure the heck out of the fuel can.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

And make sure you have the plastic container on the ground (grounded) not in the trunk when you fill it. Not too likely in this scenario but I have heard of a fuel being poured into a container via a plastic funnel. There was enough friction from the fuel flowing over the plastic to create a static discharge and cause a "thermal event".

This is the scenario that was on the news, not 2 months ago, somewhere in the States.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll just keep on putting it on the floor in the cabin and opening the windows and sunroof until there's less of a difference of opinion.

I don't know how long you would be carrying gas in your trunk but, the trunk gets pretty hot in the summer time and of course zero ventilation at any time.

I wouldn't.

Double danger if you get rear ended.

Peace.....

Archived