CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Camshaft Sensor

Jeff

I recently posted a question on how to find the crank sensor and as usual, I got some very good help- thanks. BUT

I checked the number again and it is the CAMSHAFT sensor that I need to replace! <_<

(97 SLS)

So if anyone knows how to get to the CAMSHAFT sensor, I sure would like to know how! My parts house friend faxed me a little "exploded view" picture that his computer shows, but I can't find anything that looks like the new part anywhere.

This picture shows it to be somehwere on the passenger side end of the rear valve cover??? :huh:

What all do I have to remove to get to it?

Jeff

:o Hey- I remember seeing that... :huh: I think...

Is that right in behind and above the coolant "tee"? Or does something need to be removed to get to it? I mean it's not behind some cover or something is it?

Thanks-

Jeff,

You'll need to work behind the heater pipe, but a 10mm wrench should provide access for you. It's a little tight, but not too bad.

There is a portion of the wiring harness in this area (starter and knock sensor) and the AC line may be close by but it should give enough to let you get the wrench on it.

Good luck!

I remember posting a response on my replacment of one, but cannot find it. What I recollect is it is VERY tight. I ended up throwing a piece of plywood on top of the engine, lying diagonally and reaching down with my left hand with a box-end wrench (I believe 10mm is correct), ever ever so cautiuosly removing the bolt, and pulling the sensor out, with its mounting tab the bolt goes through. I seem to recall I may have removed the radiator overflow tank and fanbelt. You should be a able to deduce whther it is required or not.

I can assure you, about the only thing that fits is your hand in an almost open position.

Archived