CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transaxle check

Oldgamer

Now I feel brave enough to get my transaxle pan down this saturday. Sure I will unscrew all 16 bolts in correct sequence, ste by step. I don't have a torque wrench and I'd like to ask what wrench I should buy. Will be simple 3/8" CLICK TYPE TORQUE WRENCH good enough for that kinda work? What torque wrench you could advise to have? Also, I looking for any tips, hints and advises to make this work easier and better. Thanks for any help.

Not sure about easier, but I would do this to make the job less messy (unless you have access to a shop with a hoist or pit and large catch cans!).

Pump the transmission dry via the oil cooler lines at the radiator.

I would also use 1/4" drive sockets. Using a nut-driver handle will prevent applying too much torque when bolting the pan back on.

Good luck with it.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have always had a 1/2" drive torque wrench but never a 3/8". I just purcheased on about two years ago because of the greater need for it on newer cars. I think this is the one I purchesed and have been happy with it.

http://www.toolsource.com/ost/product.asp?...JKC7NJHK6S272N6

Just did mine a few months ago. Save some money and reuse the gasket. The screens are reusable and likey perfectly clean. Don't forget to wipe off the magnet in the pan and the pan itself. Just be advised, IT'S MESSY!

Now I feel brave enough to get my transaxle pan down this saturday. Sure I will unscrew all 16 bolts in correct sequence, ste by step. I don't have a torque wrench and I'd like to ask what wrench I should buy. Will be simple 3/8" CLICK TYPE TORQUE WRENCH good enough for that kinda work? What torque wrench you could advise to have? Also, I looking for any tips, hints and advises to make this work easier and better. Thanks for any help.

An inch-pound wrench that is the click type will be fine for your application. Also. buy a new pan gasket from the dealer as the aftermarket gaskets are NOT equivalent to the OEM gasket...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Wow!

Thanks for the fast replay!

I have no access to the shop with a hoist, I will do that in my garage. Of course, I imagine what a mess it's gonna be, but I'll try ...

I don't think I going to finish the job in the same day, cause I don't even know what's wrong yet, but I have some advantage: I'm not in rush. I just hope that after I'll put everything back together it's not became worse.

If your going to drop the valve body and open it up, watch when you open it that you dont lose any of the checkballs that are inside.

Also there are many good posts in the archives about doing tranny work yourself, almost everything you would need to know, never hurts to read up.

Good Luck,

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Thanks, I'll watch carefully. I'm reading posts but they are more simptoms descriptions than repair process explanation/description/advice.

Thanks for everything. I don't know now what I'll do: just drop a pan or something else. Because this isn't just oil change I SHOULD find a cause of a problem, so it's very possible I will drop valve body too to change solenoids or whatever is broken.

I will keep post my moves and thoughts.

Like my friend says: asking for advice is making somebody else responsible :lol::lol::lol:

Thank all of you.

what exactly is the problem you are trying to fix, what are the symptoms, or what is the tranny doing / not doing?

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Matt,

I described the problem in http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6610

To make long story short:

Tranny works fine every time I start the engine, then, after 3-5 min it starts to behave like it's in a neutral, doesn't matter of manual shifter position. NO COMPUTER CODES OR ANY WARNINGS.

I checked computer data and didn't find any slipage. Just data PD71 (Transaxle pressure switch) shows gear 2 whatever manual shifter position is when fault exists. All other data looks fine.

Thanks.

YOU CAN USE AN OLD GARBAGE CAN LID WITH SOME DRAIN HOLES IN IT TO CATCH ALL THE TRANNIE FLUID. YOU `LL NEED A LARGE ONE TO COVER THE BOTTOM OF THE TRANNIE AND PUT ANOTHER PAN UNDER THE LID TO COLLECT THE FLUID FROM THE LID. NOT THAT MESSY.

Archived