CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dashboard Question.

Hey guys, it's me again. :rolleyes: I got another question for you all. You all seem to know alot about these cars. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but this car is a whole new ball game. I just got this Seville (2001) it is showroom condition except the top of the dashpad (the rear of it, where the soft part meets the plastic) it is peeling up??? Probably from the sun (florida) The car is mint other wise and appears to have been garaged. This looks terrible! Anyone else have this problem?? Is the upper dash pad replaceable, or do you have to replace the complete dash? The dash pad looks to be like it is a seperate upper piece. This really bothers me. What can I do about this. Please help. Thanks a million!

Take care

Mike

Yes they can be replaced fairly easy you will have to order it from a dealer I had to have mine replaced on a 01 deville on mine the edge was starting to curl at the end on the left of the dash pad near the vin number all is well now.

Good Luck

Jim

Hey thank you very much for the response Jim. About how much did that dash pad cost you? And how involved was it to replace? Did you do it yourself? Thanks again man!

Mike

Mike,

I believe if you do a search in the archives you will find a posting on how to remove the top of the dash. My 96 sts was super easy i think there was 7 bolts, all of which were accessable by removing the vent covers.

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

hey Guys I have a 99 Devile and yes the dash was a problem. I was told by an older gentleman that JB Weld will hold it down. Use it and the dash is still down with no sign of letting go. I'm in Florida too.

Hey thanks for all the help guys! I wil check the archives. Maybe if I can get the dash pad out I can JB weld it or glue it some how. Thanks again!!!! And as far as the sunshade goes we always use one. This problem was apparently from the previous owner.

Mike

I JUST recently sold my neighbors 01 sedan de ville , with the same problem. In their case car was always garaged , and had very few miles on it. The dash was pulling loose at the end on the drivers side. I took it to the upholstery shop that the local Cad , dealer has used for fourty years. The man told me that he new of know way to fix, he had been trying for ages, but the backing material on the dash would hold for a small time period and then give way when the backing pulled loose from the top cover again. He recommended a new top , but be prepared for it to eventually pull loose again, he blamed it on poor design.

I've got a '98 Seville with 98K miles, and no signs of this problem at all. I'm in San Diego. But, I'm from Florida. I would bet on humidity being the culprit instead of bad design since you mentioned you are in Florida. Also, living there all my life, I've seen plenty of cars with dash problems. Probably every car my parents owned did it. While the sun does play a part in it I would have to say humidity speed up the process. I don't have a garaged and it barely ever rains here in So cal, so it's betting beamed on by the sun everyday. Still looks perfect.

IPB Image

I agree about the sun shade but they look bad when installed I would rather just replace the trim or park in a shady place if possible.

Jim

JIMDTS,

You and I went around once or twice about this in a previous post ( http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...48&hl=dashboard ). Not to be disagreeable, but I think the photo in that old post demonstrated that sunshades needn't be entirely ugly. I think those pictured look halfways decent; better in fact, than most.

Only pointing this out to folks who might have missed that post.

However, reviewing that post I couldn't help but notice that all the discussion was about UV damage. In retrospect, I'm inclined to think that UV is not the culprit; UV would explain discoloration, for example. I think the terrorist here is simply heat!

Anyone with solid info?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Yeah guys, anyone have a tech article on removing the dash pad on a Seville? :o

Take care

Mike

I have used supper glue to repair the area around the window switched on the drivers door panel. The fake leather trim was curling out from under the module. I Just popped the module out of the door and pulled the fake leather trim back into the opening. I then used supper glue under the leather trim and glued it back to the backing.

If it is not too much trouble to remove the dash, I might try the smae trick to it.

How do you get the thing off?

"Do the vents just "pop out"? or is there a little trick to them?" There are two locking tabs (L & R) that can be seen looking through the deflector vanes, near the bottom. Use a small screwdriver to depress them. EASY DOES IT on this move, as the tabs CAN be broken if too much force is used.

rek

Archived