CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Updated Picture

Mark,

Your previous times were outstanding! But when can we expect to see some new 1/4 mile times?

Torque converters:

As I recall, a more open exhaust and a higher stall speed tranny were noted as the best bang for the buck regarding off the line performance for a Caddy.

Raising the stall speed (or rpm where the tranny locks up tight to transfer all power through) helps drag strip times by getting the engine higher up into its power band before launch. Pardon my ambiguous terminology with this subject.

OK then - What is done by a shop to change a given stall speed? Re-machine the rotating assembly somehow, revise valve bodies, tweak line pressures and "clutch packs"?

Obviously, I don't have any detailed knowledge about torque converter design or tranny operations etc, but why can't the stall speed be made variable?

Is it that the two opposing faces with fluid in between have fixed clearances or blade pitch as a function of their castings?

Thanks in advance

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

TDK,

Sorry I am not an expert on torque converters. I just know that a higher stall gets it into the power band quicker.

This is a Guru question.

Regarding new times, I am going to the track on Thursday if the weather cooperates. They are calling for rain. Conditions are not ideal (90+ with high humidity) The N* hates this weather, but I will see how she runs. My other times were on cool temps and low humidity.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Can someone explain to me what STALL SPEED means. Is this the RPM at which the convertor begins to transfer power, ie turn the input shaft? So if a convertor has a 6000 rpm stall speed, the input shaft would not turn until the convertor is turning 6000 RPM? I assume the reason for this is to leave the line at peak RPM? I know this sounds elementary but I never understood the concept, Mike

PS I think we had a variable stator on our 65 Caddy I believe and a few other 60s caddies.

The old mid 50's Buick Dynaflow transmission had a variable vane device in it's torque converter. If I remember correctly, that transmission was so smooth, that you could not feel it shift. The torque converter had a row of bolts and the front would come off. You could completely disassemble it. That transmission was a very sophisticated piece of engineering. All designed using a drawing board and slide rule! (My hats off to those guys!)

When I was a kid, I changed one once. That thing was HEAVY!!! The case was cast iron. :o I didn't have a transmission jack, so I jacked the car up real high, positioned the transmission on blocks under the car & then let the car down over the transmission. A dangerous operation!

I don't know how, but I survived that period of life. :P

Britt

Britt

So Guru, when the torque converter isn't locked, and there's some "slipping" with the transmission in that it's not directly locked to the engine, there's no clutch material or other "consumable" material slipping (like with a standard clutch)? It's just the turbine and the stator of the torque converter not spinning at the same speed due to oil pressure or something not being high enough (because the converter isn't in "lockup mode")? Thanks.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived