CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

High Mileage Oil = Not Energy Conserving

JasonA

Can this make much of a difference? I use Pennzoil High Mileage oil in my Seville, but noticed yesterday that it doesn't say "ENERGY CONSERVING" in the API symbol. I use 10W-30, but none of the high mileage oils are energy conserving, no matter the weight, no matter the brand (that I found).

How much of a difference will this make? Is it even noticeable at the fuel pump, or can this make as much of a difference as 2-3 mpg? I figure I'm not really losing anything, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks Guru. Yes, they meet the most modern oil standards (SL/SM), but they just lack the "ENERGY CONSERVING" label. The Pennzoil High Mileage seems to keep the oil seepage from my oil pan to a minimum. I also use it in our Caravan (for convenience of buying a case of the same oil), but it's most certainly not necessary in that one yet.

This is a touchy subject, telling a man which motor oil he should choose should only be compared to telling a man which woman he should marry...well, maybe not quite the same , but close. Guru has had his day over at BOBISTHEOILGUY.COM, and none of us liked it, they really don't have the knowledge over there to appreciate all of the factors that engine designers and car manufacturers must consider when spec'ing an engine oil for a production car. There is a lot of information though, and your decision can be based on the main (first) page, third post down, of the "Car and Truck Engine Motor Oil" header @....

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?

link. I have more or less settled on Havoline conventional 10W-30 SL/SM for my '99 STS. I DO consider the "Energy Conserving" aspects of oil, and the Havoline meets those requirements. I also based my decision on "viscosity @ 100C", which I find best suits my driving habits. Pennzoil conventional 10-30 SM did not seem to measure up at 10.4 V@100C, since my temp gauge jumped a notch or two during extended idleing at 88°. No such problem with the Havoline at 10.8@100C. For additional friction modifiers, I hear Valvoline SYNPOWER oil additive has the most MOLY of any, and as little as a teaspoonful will beef up your oil significantly. I'm not advocating additives at all, as I think motor oil is designed to meet ALL the engine manufacturers requirements, but my '99 has the flat tappets, and straight SL is no longer available, a little extra insurance would be a good thing. Other oils/versions of oils, such as Castrol Start-up will fall in that range as well (11.0@100C), but I have not checked to see if they (it) meet(s) the "Energy Conserving" requirements, or have the Starburst.

The largest difference in MPG that I could EVER detect was about 1/2 an MPG! As Guru says, not significant to the individual, but taken and applied to an annual production run...a whole other ballgame.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Jason, I have the same year Seville as you do, and I've run the Penzoil High Mileage for about 2000 miles now.

The main difference I've noticed is oil consumption has slown down, and I no longer get that oil whiff at stoplights ... worth the little higher cost to me.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

So this high milage oil really does work, does it? I have been told to try it, but thaught it was a gimmick.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

I used Valvoline oil for the longest time. I mean since I started driving. That's not that long ago in absolute terms, but the point is, I've just used Valvoline for my entire driving life.

When I first bought my Nissan truck with 170-something thousand on the clock, I did the first oil change with Valvoline 5W-30, like the truck called for. Lots of clicking and ticking noises coming from the engine. Usually when cold, but sometimes even when hot. A great member of a Nissan forum I was participating in (Bror Jace) was also a member of the BITOG forums. He recommended to try either Pennzoil or Havoline, as both of those have good ZDDP or whatever it is, and Pennzoil has a high content of moly(bdendum, I guess). He said that some of the noises I might be hearing are from piston slap, and an oil with lots of moly will help to control that.

I was the first to admit that while I've always bought Valvoline oil, I was one of those guys who thought "oil was oil" and changing brands wouldn't really have any effect on anything, but I tried 4 quarts of the yellow bottled stuff. The results were amazing. Almost overnight, the noise went ALMOST completely away and the engine just purred. I had no idea the effect oil COULD potentially have on how an engine runs.

So, I've used Pennzoil ever since, in everything. In addition to the brand recommendation, this fellow stated that the High Mileage oils are 90% "as good" as a "full synthetic" oil, but at half the cost or better. I won't go into the details on why...frankly because I can't remember...but it's all over at BITOG I'm sure. Anyway, he stated a few things about the oil chemistry, blah blah blah. I'm sure he and Guru would have great discussions because this gentleman is also one who doesn't see the need for synthetic oil where it's not appropriate.

So I tried the Pennzoil HM oil and the oil pan on my Seville stays pretty dry now. It'd get damp before, and it'd drip once every other night or so, but I'd say there's a marked improvement in that. For the price compared to traditional oil (about $1/qt more) and for the price compared to synthetic oil (about $2-3/qt less), I agree with this fellow that the HM oils are a relatively good deal.

HM oils have no "magic ingredient" that slows oil consumption.....they are just thicker at 100C and THAT'S why they don't get the dougnut! 'nuff said on this subject.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived