CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Motor Update

Ok. Here is the latest on my engine.

There is a spoke(Guru?) on the very back cam that rides higher than the lobes. We didn't see it before as it must have been down when we took the cover off the first time and that is what carved a groove into the valve cover. It rides higher than the lobes. The groove was right in the baffle for the PVC so the shop that screwed it up welded the groove in the cover, but the tolerance must be very close. All the caps were removed and inspected and appeared fine. As Guru said they apparently can take some abuse. After the caps were torqued down properly and the cover replaced, when we fired it up we still heard a noise. The peformance shop said it is just touching the weld that they did. Sure enough when we took the cover off you could see where the spoke was just hitting the weld. We ground it down, put the cover back on and it makes no noise and runs fine. We flushed it with new oil, changed the oil and filter and it now seems to run fine.

I have no grounds to demand a new motor as I can't prove there is anything wrong with this one as they did fix it and cooperated fully. My concern is the longevity of the motor given the stress it has gone thru. It runs great now but I guess it is impossible to know what the long term effects will be if any and as I said I have no justification to demand any thing else as it appears to be fine. In talking to three different Cadillac techs at three different dealers, they all said the same thing. " If it is going to go it will happen right away otherwise it will be fine".

Guru, any comments?

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Lucky you!

Man I'd put some Lucas in that sucker! LOL

But hey! It runs! I'd like change the oil 3 times real fast say 500, 1000, 2000 and then normal 3000 and then go by the Dash!

That motor sure is strong!

Mike

Glad to hear your engine is still running alright. It would have been a shame to see it go after getting all that work done. I look foward to seeing some timeslips, provided it doesn't self destruct on you..hehe. Good Luck.

Hey I am glad to hear your problem is solved! Someone is watching over you!

Big Jay B)

Life is too short to grow up!

Ask the shop to warranty the engine for 12K miles/12 months as a way for both sides to feel appropriate consideration had been given?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I tried that and their response was the motor was out of the car when they put it back together and if it failed it was my responsibility to get the motor back to them to fix.They would not be responsible for the labor. I disagree with that but currently I have nothing to hold them liable for. I am going to talk with the owner who appears to be resonable and try to get something in writing. Even though they fixed it, they still should be accountable for their screw up.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

So, just how exactly did they screw up? I mean, the thing is there, sticking up from the cam and the cover goes on....what caused the interference?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I tried that and their response was the motor was out of the car when they put it back together and if it failed it was my responsibility to get the motor back to them to fix.They would not be responsible for the labor.

What they suggest here seems fine. IF you do have a problem with the engine itself, although the cost to have the engine removed & reinstalled is not trivial, the cost of the actual engine repair or replacement should be their responsibility for some agreed warranty period/mileage.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived