CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

bad reception & static

JIMDTS

The radio in my car is starting to get bad reception. It's weird one day it works great another day it will act up & can't lock on to a station. I was reading the repair manual it's either wiring, a fm modulator unit or the radio it self The modulator unit is is on the left side sail panel which you have to remove the trim to check it out they are making this crap complex darn I miss the old type radio which just the radio, wiring and antenna to troubleshoot but these newer systems sure sound good.. I'll check it out in the morning. just when I get the car where everything is working good some BS comes up Never ending battle Cadillacs you gotta love em but this is normal as with any car

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

This could be the result of an open/shorted antenna connection somewhere - possibly inside the power antenna module itself.

A bad ground on the antenna signal ground circuit could also cause this symptom (e.g. loose ground wire or loose antenna mount).

Has any work been performed on the car near the antenna wire route?

Jim,

I had the same problem with my radio. All i did was tighten the mounts on the power antenna, and revove and clean the ground strap for the antenna, and voila, no more static.

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Hi jhall

No work as been performed in those areas that I'm aware of Only thing I can think of the top of the dash was replaced but the routing I believe is fron the radio along the center console to the LR sail panel so I can rule out that.. That's what I'm thinking it wiring or a connector but the manual appears to give a pretty good troubleshooting guide I'll find out how good the steps are in the morning..

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

I had the same problem with my radio. All i did was tighten the mounts on the power antenna, and revove and clean the ground strap for the antenna, and voila, no more static.

Matt

Thanks for that tip Matt, I have a 96 with AM static, I will try that, Mike

Well I did some troubleshooting this morning checked the connections read voltages etc, It was the radio itself so I dropped it off the the dealer early in the afternoon so they had no time to finish it today I should get it back in the morning Now I'm driving an 05 CTS-V Amesome power with this car..

Jim

JimDTS,

Maybe its just me, but I have noticed a sort of pattern with your posts of late <_<

The posts vary from attention to fine details (like the near-molecular motion of hoses) :blink: - that few of us can even conceptualize....

...to expressing outright wanton lust for a new 05 STS and now the CTS-V. :o

Are you secretly hoping to have some one make an offer for that poor, neglected 01 DTS (that is just about worn out I'm sure :rolleyes: )

so you can prance around with a snazzy 05 Caddy ? B)

C'on the first step is admitting it... ;)

Good luck guy :P

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Jim,

Matt

Thanks for telling me MATT!!! We have the same problem(at least I thaught you still did)

I will try the same in mine!!!

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Hi TDk

As far as hoses rubbing and wearing through a hose I would fix that on any car I own. I do pay attention to detail that's just me Probably comes from having worked on and with aircraft propulsion systems(engines)for 30+ yrs.

At this this time I don't want to sell the 01 dts .. I do like the look of the 05 sts but I don't lust after one I could easily go to the dealer anytime and rite a check and drive out with a new one. I have NO desire for a CTS V The cts v is an awesome car if you want a hot rod but I'm through with that.. I was impressed by the power of the cts v and amazed the dealer gave me a V model to drive. I always get offers to purchase on any cars that I own. I keep them in good shape and have sold or gave some of them to family,relatives, friends & neighbors in the past

Well to prance around is not me and never was or will be that's just not my cup of tea. I do have another 05 deville but my wife drives that one. She always wants a new car even if the car is the current yr. model If the car has a problem it's history as far as she is concerned. I always purchase her a new car In the mid 90's I purchased her a new eldo while she was driving it the fuel pump failed and the cadillac road service had to come and get her. So the dealer put a new pump in and all was well for a couple months then then car was stalling out I took it back to the dealer 4 times they could not find the problem actually it was bad troubleshooting on the dealers part the fuel pump they installed went bad When the tech looked at the cars history he seen the fuel pump was recently replaced he overlooked it I don't fault the dealer intermittent problems are the hardest to find and some times you have to guess at what is failing When I took the car back everything was fine. To make a long story short my wife just didn't trust that car and I traded it on another car for her .I can't blame her when you don't have trust in a car and break down a couple times esp. a woman they are just stuck.. Heck my wife does not even put gas in a car I usually fill hers up every weekend or when it needs it or she goes to a full service & does not even know how to open the fuel door She does not know what the button is for on the dash to open it. When her car gets to about a quarter tank of gas she will mention I need gas so I go fill the car up with fuel it gets old but she does not care about a car other than getting from point a to b ..

Cheers

Jim

Well i picked the car up today and it's working ok I had to read the owners manual the old radio worked but had I problem that I never knew about the presets never worked when you hit the scan button it would just scan from station to station via the steering wheel same as the scan button on the radio and never changed bands am fm1 fm2 Now all the presets and bands work via the steering wheel work before you would have to change the bands at the radio.Huh the problem was on the car ever since I owned it.

I guess it pays to read the owners manual..

Cheers

Jim

Archived