CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

how long would my battery last??

davedog

I have an Audiobahn A4004T (400 watts) amp powering two 10 inch subs in a dual sealed box in my trunk. Anyone know how long my battery (about 1 year old, 1000 cranking amps) would hold up (without the car running of coarse)?

I'm going to a drive-in theater that just opened, and I've heard the broadcast they sound over radio waves so you can listen through your car's radio, and I'm just wondering weather or not to turn my subs off (I have a cut-off switch so I can just run the head unit and regular speakers with out the amp and subs). I'm guessing I already know the answer, just wanted feed back from all of you.

Thanks!

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Specs:

Audiobahn A4004T

400 Watts x 2 ACH Power

50 Watts x 4 @ 4 Ohms RMS Power

Thats what I'm thinking

Davedog,

If you're running at 400 watts, you're peaking the amp. Right? I don't think you would want to leave it this way all night! :P

Assuming that you did, you're pulling 50 watts/4 ohms channel = 12.5 amps per channel. Four channels is 50 amps - or 50 ampere-hours of drain if you ran the system for one hour.

What you have to know is the constant power delivery of the battery (given in ampere-hours) - not the short term cold cranking amps (CCA).

If you are running at say 100 watts for the system - which would still be pretty dang loud in the car - this would be about 25 ampere-hours of drain.

If you know the battery ampere-hour drain, you could figure out the time versus voltage by reading the discharge chart (for the battery group number). Once you find -oh, about 10 volts on the discharge chart - this would be the limit of where you would want to go since the car may not start at lower battery voltages.

Not long, and if you run the Bat so low it won't start, you ruined it. They make something called Prioritystart.com It shuts off the Battery before yo do any harm and before it gets too low to start the car. Pretty Nifty I use one on my boat for same reason, STEREO. But It was shutting off quite a Bit even with a 1000 CCA Deep Cycle Battery so I know your Car Battery won't last long. They are not designed for slow discharge. It's a plate thing!

However, you can bring a deep cycle and hook it up like a jump and whala! You have staying power! Not you, the Battery.

Mike C

If you are going to run it, then bring a booster pack!

I can't see running that much for a drive in??

Big Jay :blink:

Life is too short to grow up!

Thanks for the replies! I went sub-less, but it still sounded great, and I had alot of fun. Had never been to a drive-in and I throughly enjoyed it. Nice to watch a movie from the comfort of a caddy!! :D Thanks again!

-dave B)

Archived