CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

BATTERY VOLTS OPERATING RANGE?

jamesg

Your new battery is in the ballpark as far as voltage is concerned.

There are a lot of variables involved; but basically, if the battery will start the engine every time you ask it to, you can have some confidence your battery and charging system are operating as designed.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Driving down the road with AC and Radio. It drops to 11.7 or goes up to 12.4.

STS

When does it drop to 11.7 at idle or while you are riding? Tonight I noticed that I drop to 11.9 at idle at a light as soon as I pull away it increases to 12.6 - 12.9... If you are dropping to 11.7 while you are "driving down the road", I personally think you are having a problem with your charging system, if that is occurring at idle while in gear its not great but more acceptable. Mike

it might be acceptable at idle but when driving it should be much higher u need to check out alternator and battery when mine started doing that (it went down to 10.8 at idle in gear 13.2 highway ) i was told that the alternator had probablyblown a diode i promptly replaced the alternator it

This morning, I went into my Navy Reserves drills, the Battery got up to 14.0 and ranged fro 12.4 to 13.1 or higher when driving with AC on hi and radio. It is very hot in VA, temps are in the 90's with high humidity and muggy rainy weather with the sun out. NASTY. Right now the car is running fine, last night I went thru the re program thingy, with the car running for 15 mins in drive with my feet on the brakes, then 3 more mins in drive with the feet on the brakes and push the climate control buttom on AUTO, then 3 more mins with the feet on the brakes in drive with the car running, then you shut the engine off. Instructions are in my 1993 STS onwer's manual for when the battery go low. It looks like that die hard battery on friday was completly drained after running the AC on Hi and the head lights and emergency blinkers going during the funeral procession. People passing by yelling out of their cars, oh it is your alternator, some it is your starter. The tow truck driver said it was my alternator. Believe it or not my girlfriend was in Richmond a 100 miles away and the exact same thing happen to her on her 1999 Supercharged Grand Prix. (Huh GM) Lost power from battery and it locked the key in the ignition, having to call a tow truck and lock smith. Turns out it was her Battery Drained also from driving over 100 miles in the heat with the AC running. Both of us were strained at the same time miles apart. Sears ran a test on my battery and stated that the battery was SIC and gave me a full replacement at no cost or questions or attitude for the Die Hard Gold with the 36 months warranty. I only had it for 2 years and a few months. The alternator at my local Caddy Dealer cost $257.00. I will buy one anyways and keep it on hand in case the new battery drains. All I know is that the jump starts I had on friday and the battery was down to 10.0 Volts and would not charge. If the alternator is bad I will know soon. No current codes for GENERATOR FAILURES, all history codes of loss of memory.

Well it is a 1993 Caddy, 12 years old. The water pump was changed 4 years ago with the new engine long block. So the alternator and starter is gonna go sooner or later. I plan to keep the car as a collector's item anyways. I don't want to be cruising on sundays when my water pump, starter or alternator cramp out on me. Those things are going to go, so I will get ready for them. Almost every major part has been replaced on it. New windshild wiper pump & tank, new antenna & mast, new gear shift lever, Z rated Michelin tires, Transmission, Engine, radiator, idle speed sensor control, AC compressor and many other minor parts. I hope to keep it another 12 years. Maybe a new Caddy Dealer paint job in 2006, quoted to by the Caddy Body Shop at $3800.

v/r

JG

93 STS

Make sure all battery contacts are tight and clean. I went through the same thing, and my terminals were not tight enough, and were dirty. I found this out after I replaced the alternator, and wondered why it was still reading low.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Archived