CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help! How to remove "Check Oil Level" message?

etozion

Once the PCM detects a low oil level reading and all the conditions are met (engine off for at least 30 min) then the PCM will keep the message ON until the next ignition cycle (turn off the engine = reset the message). If the engine is off less then 30 min at restart since the PCM ignores the oil level sensor it will no longer post the message (even if the oil level is low).

As Bruce suggested the voltage should be checked. If I remember correctly it is a normally closed switch and will go open when the oil level is low.

I think the sensors are probably functioning correctly (been wrong before and I have 2 ex-wives to prove it), you can remove the switch connect a DMM and see if the switch is opening and closing the circuit. If it is, drag test the connector terminals, if the terminals are tight, you will need to do a voltage check. You may have excessive voltage drop on the circuit. Could be a PCM but there is a LONG diagnostic tree for that diagnosis.

If you do need to replace the switch I would replace it with GM and leave the aftermarket ones on the shelf...

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Archived