CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help! How to remove "Check Oil Level" message?

etozion

If the car has the proper amount of oil - 7.5 quarts and a new filter, check the oil level switch connections. The oil level sensor threads into the oil pan and is about 8" in length (when removed). If the connection is ok, you will need to replace the sensor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well if you are SURE you have the correct level of oil, then you are correct, either the sensor is bad OR the connector has come loose...

WHY in the H would you want to remove that message with the way these engines TEND to use oil?

Get in there and check the wires and/or change the sensor, its not a big job. I am sure the dealer or a mechanic will not be too expensive if you don't feel the urge to get your hands dirty. Its a very simple R&R...

You NEED this sensor!

I have the service manual for our 96's, if you need its location let me know here or in an email, Mike

i think he needs to set the codes back to 100 should clear up message unfortunately i dont know how to do it in your car it should tell uv how in your owners manual

etozion,

If the oil level is correct and you're getting the "Check Oil Level" display, this problem should be corret as soon as possible.

N* engines use oil as a parameter of their design and not having a working switch can spell disaster.

Here's pic of the oil switch. It's to the left of the oil filter (looks like a tan-colored "nut"). You should be able to check the connection / replace the switch from under the car.

MVC_009S.JPG

post-3-1121475243_thumb.jpg

Thanks Scotty,

I've got a bunch of detailed shots on the engine - including the trans speed switch which, by the way appears to be replaceable without pulling the engine if you have a 1/4" drive socket.

That has got to be one of the best shots I have ever seen on here for anything!

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Imagine that. jhall removed the engine from his vehicle just to supply us with a photo of the oil level sensor.

That's the sort of dedication this board is noted for! :D:D:D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 3 weeks later...

I changed oil in a local Service Station and they charged me extra $ for the oil amount needed for my Cadi, so I assume the oil level is right. The oil life monitor was reset.

I do not want to tamper with hardware. I’m interesting if any way to switch off this pesky message through codes, changing software settings?

If not, the only options will be:

1) check oil level or add oil;

2) perform the “hard reset” by disconnecting the negative cable to the battery for a few minutes;

3) check wire and sensor connector;

4) replace sensor.

Thanks everybody

PS: very nice pictire!

I changed oil in a local Service Station and they charged me extra $ for the oil amount needed for my Cadi, so I assume the oil level is right. The oil life monitor was reset.

I do not want to tamper with hardware. I’m interesting if any way to switch off this pesky message through codes, changing software settings?

If not, the only options will be:

1) check oil level or add oil;

2) perform the “hard reset” by disconnecting the negative cable to the battery for a few minutes;

3) check wire and sensor connector;

4) replace sensor.

Thanks everybody

PS: very nice pictire!

hey,

well the first thing i would do is option # 1, open the hood and check the oil. work it out from there. It takes about 2 minutes to check the oil. haha.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

I don't understand...changing a faulty sensor is not "tampering", but an owner being responsible for the correct operation of thier vehicle. Cheating the "pesky" message is not responsible in my book. That sensor and monitor were designed and put there for a reason...to save your engine from catatsrophic failure. If it's not working, fix it.

I wouldn't make any assumptions. Check the oil level. and if it's correct, replace the sensor. Haven't the guys here made that easy enough for you? ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Ditto Bob.

I read this topic AGAIN and skipped over it and shook my head. This type of reasoning aggravates me, just set fire to it or drive it over a cliff and save yourself a slow death by disabling the low oil message and ruining the engine......while you are at it disable the red light that comes on when you have NO OIL pressure, I wouldnt want that to bother you either... :blink:

Why didnt you read the above information and just react to it....we EVEN showed you a photo of where the sensor is! PUT BLACK TAPE OVER THE MESSAGE SO YOU DON'T SEE IT! PROBLEM SOLVED! However when your burn our your bearings don't complain here... :lol:

etozion, I wouldn't consider replacing a defective part as "tampering". The engine control system requires accurate sensors to do its job. The oil level sensor is reporting a low oil level, and that's why that message comes up. There's only two options here:

1) Fill the oil up if it's low.

2) If the oil is not low, check connections or replace sensor.

If the oil is at the correct level (anywhere on the dipstick really), and the computer still reports that the oil is low, it means the sensor has gone bad. Go ahead and replace it. It's good insurance to make sure you don't ignore the message if the oil really is low. It's kind of like the boy crying wolf. Right now, there are a bunch of erroneous messages because the sensor is bad. But one of these days, when the oil really is low, you won't know it because you'll be ignoring the message.

My opinion, and that of everyone else here it appears, is to spend the money and replace the oil level switch (sensor). It's very easy to do yourself.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

PUT BLACK TAPE OVER THE MESSAGE SO YOU DON'T SEE IT! PROBLEM SOLVED!

LMAO :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can't stop laughing.... :lol:

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

... they charged me extra $ for the oil amount needed for my Cadi, so I assume the oil level is right...

1. Check the oil level yourself. Do not assume. This is 30 sec job described in the manual.

2. Very possible that same guys who changed oil accidently pull of the connector or something like that (it's close to the filter). Check the connector.

3. Resseting the oil life monitor is nothing to do with oil level.

... they charged me extra $ for the oil amount needed for my Cadi, so I assume the oil level is right...

1. Check the oil level yourself. Do not assume. This is 30 sec job described in the manual.

2. Very possible that same guys who changed oil accidently pull of the connector or something like that (it's close to the filter). Check the connector.

3. Resseting the oil life monitor is nothing to do with oil level.

This is a good point! Assume nothing, I have seen oil changes done wrong. I have lost count a few times myself when interrupted.

This is a good point!  Assume nothing, I have seen oil changes done wrong.  I have lost count a few times myself when interrupted.

Hey man!!... I said that about 22 posts ago. <_<:lol:;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

This is a good point!  Assume nothing, I have seen oil changes done wrong.  I have lost count a few times myself when interrupted.

Hey man!!... I said that about 22 posts ago. <_<:lol:;)

Where to you think I got that idea! :lol: I knew I heard it someplace! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I checked oil level and it was on the low side, so I purchased and added a quarter. The message did not appear for the first engine start, but came on again from second and stay. I drove for a week. I purchased one more quarter yesterday, filled in, so the oil level is now on maximum (what is not good too), but message comes every time I start my car. It’s definitely the sensor problem and looks like not sensor itself, but connector/contact because I noticed several times the red oil light flicked.

I asked about “software solution” because this part of a car design intrigues me since I owe another GM’s “gem” – Reatta.

I asked about “software solution” because this part of a car design intrigues me since I owe another GM’s “gem” – Reatta.

A buddy of mine had a Reatta. Intriguing car!

Again though, a "software solution" will just disable the message, and will likely cost you more in time and money to find a "software solution" than it will be to troubleshoot your sensor problem. If you suspect a problem with the contacts at the sensor, perhaps you could buy a new harness end for the sensor and install it. It's not unheard of for the sensor to go bad too...after so many miles, all of the electrical parts under the hood have had a long hot life, and any are subject to start to fail.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 10 years later...

I purchased a 2002 SLS six months ago that needed a new oil level sensor. I have now replaced it 3 times. Once it registers "Check Oil Level" a new purchase is required to correct and remove the 'warning.' Two from O'Reilly's and one from CARQUEST. Do I have to get the sensor from GM? I have re-plugged the wiring to test that it was snug - no luck. My car has had 3 hours to cool in a garage at 70 deg.  to do the "key-reset" trick no-luck. Are there test voltages I can perform at the plug? This should really be a minor for a 9er. The sensors have lasted to around 52% oil life but the last one only made it to only 92%. How can I check if they are faulty?

2 minutes ago, JIM9er said:

I purchased a 2002 SLS six months ago that needed a new oil level sensor. I have now replaced it 3 times. Once it registers "Check Oil Level" a new purchase is required to correct and remove the 'warning.' Two from O'Reilly's and one from CARQUEST. Do I have to get the sensor from GM? I have re-plugged the wiring to test that it was snug - no luck. My car has had 3 hours to cool in a garage at 70 deg.  to do the "key-reset" trick no-luck. Are there test voltages I can perform at the plug? This should really be a minor for a 9er. The sensors have lasted to around 52% oil life but the last one only made it to only 92%. How can I check if they are faulty?

:welcomesmiley: I would check the voltage on the circuit

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

were the sensors broken when you removed them?

I would hope not as that is a bit excessive to be in the oil pan.

I would get a oem one if they are actually failing. I dont like aftermarket parts on Caddys.

Welcome to Caddyinfo

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived