CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trying to make things better

JIMDTS

I was checking around under the hood this morning and noticed that the radiator hose was chaffing(rubbing) on the valve cover I figured it would eventually rub through The way gm has it the clip which I marked with c in the pic is the only one on the right side from that point on nothing to hold the hose off the valve cover Sometimes you have to be inventive I just used some hose wrap which was an old part I had laying around my garage from another cadillac radiator hose it's gm part and spot ties to fix the problem area woked great I guess I worry about chafffing too much it comes from an avaition background if I would have had the rite clamps(adel) clamps I would have clamped it up but this was much easier and should do the trick I imagine I could have repostioned the hose by twisting it a little but the car was hot and under pressure so I would have lost coolant It took longer to go get the spot tie than to do the job SO this time it paid to save an old part..most of the time I save this stuff and never have a use for it. I just don't like any hose that is rubbing against anything

Cheers

Jim

achs.jpg

Thats an awesome fix. I will have to see if mine is the same way.

did you scrub your engine prior to the pic? WOW thats nice and clean!

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

NICE! I have the same problem, my upper hose has a wear mark on it, I will look for that flexible tubing, I didnt know it existed that big..

You know Jim, you are starting to get as obsessive as me! :lol::blink::lol: Was that a spot of dirt I noticed on your valve cover? :lol: Oh no, just dust on the lens...!

bigjayzway

the whole engine compartment is clean the engine was out a couple weeks ago and it was cleaned real good and they even power washed the engine compartment So I didn't have to clean it up for the pic.

Scotty

I hear ya It's these little things that can down you hard If you get a hole in that radiator hose Ny luck it would be in a rural area late at night with nothing open..

I don'tt where you can purchase the flexible tubing that big maybe home depot or a place like that this stuff came from another cadillac that i had it was placed on the hose from the factory ANother way you could go is to find an old radiator hose cut a length you need and split the hose slip it over your radiator hose and use the spot ties that is what I was going to do After the engine was torn down I check the fluids every other day checking the oil and coolant so far so good but I will monitor it for awhile just to make sure everything is ok..usually I check it before I fire it up I watch that coolant bottle like a hawk I even measured the level from one point on the surge tank there is a line which 1 inch above it is actually 2.5 inches below the filler neck base...I even stuck an old ruler in the trunk just incase it looks low..

Cheers

Jim

The upper radiator hose is expensive ($45 at Caddy), but now that I have stopped being concerned with my summer coolant temps, I have to make sure all of my cooling system components are capable of dealing with the heat and pressures... so that upper radiator hose is concerning me.

I am going to replace the heater hoses, hose at the bottom of the tank, stat by pass hose, the two green hoses and the stat this weekend.. so your post is timely, thanks

Hi Scotty

be careful with heater hoses just don't pull one off Cut them it is real easy to break the heater core and sometimes the hose sticks to the inlet Trust me I had to replace a heater core in one car that i owned by just trying to twist it off I broke the core and what a mess that is coolant all on the inside of the car use a razor cutter or sharp knife to remove those hoses..Real easy to cut them off better to be safe than sorry

Good Luck

Jim

Hi Scotty

be careful with heater hoses just don't pull one off Cut them it is real easy to break the heater core and sometimes the hose sticks to the inlet Trust me I had to replace a heater core in one car that i owned by just trying to twist it off I broke the core and what a mess that is coolant all on the inside of the car use a razor cutter or sharp knife to remove those hoses..Real easy to cut them off better to be safe than sorry

Good Luck

Jim

Thanks for the tip, that is a practice that I learned a long time ago, when my friend broke his brass heater core inlet changing a hose and called me in to rescue him and change the heater core.

I do think I have a heater core problem already, but I am going to change these hoses first and see if I still get coolant smell in the morning.. I don't think its too hard to change the core on these cars through the glove box from what I understand...

Take a look at the top hose arrangement on a '04 Deville. There is a very clever hose bracket mounted directly in front of the water pump pulley. Should be adaptable to most any Northstar equiped model.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Take a look at the top hose arrangement on a '04 Deville. There is a very clever hose bracket mounted directly in front of the water pump pulley. Should be adaptable to most any Northstar equiped model.

Hmmm Thanks I will do that..

Hi Scotty

I learned that lesson on my first car when I was 16 after that I always cut them I still can remember gorilla gripping that hose

Jim

Yes and they can be a bear to muscle off and that poor corroded brass and now plastic (i think) and be so fragile...

Hi Jim

On the 01 deville I have a U shaped metal braket in front of water pump area but on the right side of the car the only thing to hold the radiator hose is the clip in the pic marked C frim that point on nothing to hold the hose off tha valve cover near the oil cap I guess I could have loosened the clamp and tried twisting the hose but I settled for this..

Jim

Archived