CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turn Signals

96 sts, turn signals do not work. I read throught some of the old posts on this subject, and in turn replace the turn signal flasher unit. Still no turn signals, when i try to put them on, nothins happens at all. wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what the next step mu\ight be, short of going to the dealer!?

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Scotty, which flasher are you referring to, if its the little black box under the dash, thats the one i already replaced, and still no signals,

Matt

EDIT: Scotty your a fast typer, how do i get to the turn signal switch??

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Scotty, which flasher are you referring to, if its the little black box under the dash, thats the one i already replaced, and still no signals,

Matt

EDIT:  Scotty your a fast typer, how do i get to the turn signal switch??

Matt let me look at my manual, you might be able to do some testing to definitively determine where your problem is. The switch is in the steering column, you don't want to mess with that unless you are sure its the switch. How does the switch feel if you click it left and right? Any changes lately in the way it feels? I will look my manual over before beddy by, its on my night-table :lol:

Not tonight dear, I am diagnosing Matt's turn-signals :blink:

Scotty,

I think he indicated that he changed the flasher.

The hazard switch appears to be faulty. Power must pass through one set of contacts on the hazard switch when it is in the "off" position in order for the turn signal to work.

Having both sets of contacts fail on the turn signal at the same time is not very likely - though the mechanical part of the switch could have failed somehow.

Matt let me look at my manual, you might be able to do some testing to definitively determine where your problem is. The switch is in the steering column, you don't want to mess with that unless you are sure its the switch. How does the switch feel if you click it left and right? Any changes lately in the way it feels? I will look my manual over before beddy by, its on my night-table

Thanks scotty, the switch feels fine both ways, it clicks into place as it should, everything feels the same as it always did.

Not tonight dear, I am diagnosing Matt's turn-signals 

Thanks Scotty I owe ya one

Matt

www.madd.ca

I had a turn signal switch problem and ended up replacing it. In my situation the left side lamp would not light. From my experience, it's not easy to diagnose. Even if you take the column apart a visual inspection will not necessarily yield an answer as to whether the switch is defective. Unless there's a melted wire or something obvious it's difficult to determine if there’s a problem. My switch looked fine but was defective. After I replaced it the left lamp was back to normal. Could an Ohm meter or volt tester be used to test the switch at the harness?

Below is a link showing my stock turn signal switch (top):

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1858&hl

It's not a great pic but as you can see the switch looks to be in pretty good condition even thought it was defective. I cut the wires at the switch and used the wiring remaining in the column to thread the new switch down the column.

GUYS, MAYBE i am missing something here but , he said he replaced the LITTLE BLACK BOX , now every turn signal flasher i replaced including my 96 SLS, IT is a round aluminum canister that plugs in to a electrical wireing harness connector. I am not sure what a LITTLE BLACK BOX, is when it comes to signal flashers.

The black box is the signal flasher, put on your four ways see if they work and all bulbs light. you may have replaced the wrong flasher unit. and you can never rule out a faulty flasher unit. how many hours are spent looking for a problem knowing it is that part" but it's new so that can't be it" only after several hours and several fibe quietls of hair you find out your new part was faulty?

I'm going out on a short limb here, but I'm gonna assume your '96 is similar to/same as my '95. If that's NOT the case, then all bets are off.

I recently suffered a bad turn signal switch. Lost turn signals both sides AND brake lights. Emergency flashers were okay. The lever detented properly and otherwise seemed perfectly normal.

My FSM says the turn flasher is to the LEFT of the steering column; hazard flasher is ABOVE the column.

Don't overlook the possibility of a bad relay (TRUNK COMPARTMENT #2 MICRO RELAY CENTER) shown in the first drawing. For test purposes, locate another relay of the same type and swap it with the turn flasher relay. I added the second drawing just to complete the picture even though it doesn't apply to your problem. These photos are about 240KB each.

First drawing: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/TailLamps1.jpg

Second drawing: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/TailLamps2.jpg

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: Points A & B on the bottom of the first drawing connect to the front turn signal lamps. Points C & D connect to the rear turn/stop lamps.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

MATT! I think Warren might have something here!!!!

We can check it tomorrow, and stop laying inside your car when it is 104 degrees out!

Thanks Warren we will try that!

Life is too short to grow up!

It could be the electronic flasher unit.....small black box tucked into the dash just left of the steering column.

Or could be a bad turn signal switch. Repair of which can be done....but is about a 3 hour job.

Here is a shot of a turn signal replacement on a '97 STS..

column3.jpg

post-3-1121436253_thumb.jpg

You guys rock, i am going out right now to look into the trunk relay situation, hopefully that is it cause i really dont want to have to rip apart my steering column like logan, looks a little too involved for me.

GUYS, MAYBE i am missing something here but , he said he replaced the LITTLE BLACK BOX , now every turn signal flasher i replaced including my 96 SLS, IT is a round aluminum canister that plugs in to a electrical wireing harness connector. I am not sure what a LITTLE BLACK BOX, is when it comes to signal flashers

in my 96 sts, the little round alum. canister is for the four ways only. The actual signal flasher is a little black box. Not sure if its a different set up cause its a canadian car or just the year/model.

and stop laying inside your car when it is 104 degrees out!

Too Late, 4:30pm and 100 degrees

Thanks again everyone,

Matt :D

www.madd.ca

The electronic flasher......using my picture.....is located in the dash between the headlight switch and the bump in the IP pad near the steering column.

Here is a shot of a turn signal replacement on a '97 STS..

Logan,

That is a truly UGLY picture. Now I know why I paid someone else to change mine! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I agree Warren....Looks too terrifying for me.

I will leave that to my mechanic

Life is too short to grow up!

ok, I'm going to replace the relay in the trunk tomorrow. In the mean time, when i put my turn signals on, one of my rear brake lights goes out, but stilll no signals. If i put the right turn signal on one of my right brake lights will go out and vice versa for the other side. Does this mean its definatley no the switch, could it be a wiring problem or a ground?????

These turn signals are starting to drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::blink:;)

www.madd.ca

Archived