CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NO MORE PINGING!!!!!!

VERY COOL article bbobynski, Thanks. I have to sit and read it soon.

I was under the impression that an overheating engine is prone to pre-ignition, not detonation is that true? That detonation can occur even if the engine is not overheating, you have made me understand that one of the causes of detonation is a lack of EGR flow, how does EGR exhaust flow stop detonation or the lack of it cause detonation.

As you know for a long time my 91 4.9 had the light pedal detonation and we had many discussions, it drove me crazy and I finally got rid of it. My neighbor has a 92 4.9 and when he drives by he also has the light pedal detonation.

Thank you that explains it very good, I was thinking that it had something to do with the EGR gases diluting the fuel mixture but didnt know why! Thanks, Mike

Well I di notice something today.

I think I will have to advance to at least 4 0r 5 degrees.

My gas milage went up on the highway, but dropped considerably in the city!

On the highway I am getting 22 - 25 mpg, but in the city a wopping 8mpg.... :wacko:

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Well son-of-a-gun. I am operating on 20 year old technology. My last hot rod was a 67 Oldsmobile. In about 1984. For us with points and distributers pinging was a death sentence. And preginition was the reason. I used to have a few of the pistons laying around that had holes burned in them from it.

So my assumptions of the former posts were based on this. I wouldn't know a knock sensor if I met one! My apologies - I guess my wife was right - I am a walking dinasaur!!

Thanks for the eloquent explanation bbobynski. Adallak - I think you have your answer!

Steve

Well son-of-a-gun. I am operating on 20 year old technology. I guess my wife was right - I am a walking dinasaur!!

Welcome to Jurasic Park :lol:

We have made some progress from magneto ignition and hand cranks.... (lawn mowers excepted)

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wow, I never thaught this topic would cause such a dilema :P

Life is too short to grow up!

Well I can honestly say that until this thread I never knew there was a difference between pinging and preignition. I understood the colder plug and why it was necessary.

Glad I stuck my ignorant nose in and blurted out my opinion!

Much obliged

Steve

Archived