CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

trouble codes

figment3

im am haveing trouble with my traction control on my 1996 sedan,northstar,onley traction ligt is on, setting codes pc1571 and tc0073,can any one help me t figure out which was to go on this, is it a senser? all four weels sensers are working.any help please

im am haveing trouble with my traction control on my 1996 sedan,northstar,onley traction ligt is on, setting codes pc1571 and tc0073,can any one help me t figure out which was to go on this, is it a senser? all four weels sensers are working.any help please

Have you checked all connections?

Check the sensor on the passenger side front . It is located on the top of the axle shaft. You will have to get under, and it is a tight spot, but is fairly easy to get at. It was doing the same thing in a friends car, and we replaced it for under $20.00

Life is too short to grow up!

Your on board computer is already at work, the dtc 71 code , is a EBTCM INTERNAL MALFUNCTION, , WHICH SETS THE CODE P1571, WHICH is telling you that the electonic brake and traction control module ( EBTCM) IS not sending the PULSE WIDTH MODULATED SIGNAL to the program control module. YOUR EBTCM IS NOT COMMUNICATING WITH YOUR PROGRAM CONTROL MODULE , and the PCM , is turning off your traction control, which in turn , turns off your low gear , and the car starts is second gear by default. THE TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT ALSO STAYS LIT UP. If your car was built after the following VIN numbers, CONCOURS /DEVILLE 280478 , ELDORADO 614516 SEVILLE 826978, YOU have one of the new EBTCM , PRIOR to these numbers your have the old style module, lets just say the old style module had some internal problems which tended to turn off your traction control , the new ones were much more reliable. First check your connections to your wheel speed sensors at each wheel, check the connection to the EBTCM, CLEAR the codes and see if it resets immediatly without the car moving , if it resets with just turning the key on and you do not ever move the car , then more than likely you have an internal fault if you are sure you have good connections, the dealer has a wireing harness he can install to check and see if it is internal. When mine went bad i rigged my own wire harness up and used an ohm meter to diagnose problem. A new EBTCM IS ABOUT 850.00 , or 560 to 570 from GM PARTS DIRECT, THIS INCLUDES SHIP AND HANDLE , i paid 618.00 including tax from my local dealer , since I am a regular parts buyer and they have gotten to kn ow me their. The EBTCM CAN BE REMOVED with the whole module system in the car , just four bolts on each corner and one in the center, be careful dissconnecting the main wire harness , frount metal clip and then rear slides down into a cavity. YOU have to remove the lower radiator hose for good access and the lower plastic pan shield. A shop manual is extremly good to have. IF you have any other questions i would be pleased to help anyway i can, taking off in second is a *smurf*.

the vin number for my car is 290717,and it does reset even if i dont move the car,for that matter it reset just when the key is in run only,i have checked all conetions and am get feed back from the weel sensors,the controler you speak of is mounted to the abs box on the right hand side?and how common are the moduals,are they used in maney models or just has to be specific to my deville?

is there no way to by pass the unit?and or will it do harm driving it this way for a while?

Have you checked all connections?

I believe you need to look the speed sensor connections over at the wheels..

i have checked all wheel sensors,and am getting feed back while driving on the dash board display,flipped through all four weels and am getting signal readings close to actual speed,on thing i did notice is that it dosent say apply brack to shift any more as it id befor this problem.dont know if its related

First all cads have the EBTCM CONTROLLER , in 96 they all used the same one , i believe the year previous is the same controller, but all 95 have the program issue and any96 prior to the vin numbers i gave you , if you were not getting the signal back from a wheel sensor , you would have that code, hence no code for lack of wheel speed sensor. Your issue is internal to the EBTCM, OR no signal between it and the PCM. SO your loose connection issues are between it and the PCM. As i stated earlier , you need a GM SERVICE MANUAL ,to trouble shoot this internal problem plus the dealer wireing harness, if you were real good with a volt meter , you might be able to test it yourself. I do not know your level of expertise , theirfore i suggested take it to the dealer. Internal problems of the EBTCM , CAN NOT BE FIXED, you have to buy a new one or get one at a wrecking yard. T he other option is no low gear unless you manually put it in low and shift from their. In my house , this was not an option, taking off in second would probably shorten the life of the transmission. The EBTCM, IS just like all the other electronic gadgets on the car when they go bad ,which they do, then your options are limited. The last thing i wanted was to buy the new EBTCM , but i also wanted low gear back. SINCE your reply was that the second it was put in the run position the light came on, NOTE; if you will listen you will probably hear a relay pop under the hood on the driver side, this is the short in the controller , which trips a relay out. . I AM BETTING THAT THE CONTROLLER IS BAD. WISH i had better news for you, but it does not sound good so far. By the way the controller is made by BOSCH, NOT AC DELCO.

i have fixed my problem,did turn out to be the controller,i got one from a yard from a 96 feetwood but found the part numbers not the same, i belive the rear weel drive ones are not interchangeable with the northstar ones,but i did find one at another yard for 300 and changed it out ,cleared the codes and all is fine now.took about two hours to do the swap not really to hard,thanks for your help and advice

Archived